What is happiness?

What is happiness anymore? We constantly are taking shortcuts in our lives, shortcuts even to happiness – we use instant gratification, consumption, and material goods to fill up that ache of emptiness. We constantly feel the need to feel full, to feel complete. But what defines completion? Is it when you have no more room for anything else, or that you have everything you need and no longer want anything else? I think that happiness is needed for this feeling of completion, but what is happiness? When we do find happiness, I think we hug onto it too tightly, and strangle it – we don’t let it be free, and open. We want to train happiness, make it do tricks for us and put it in a wire cage where we can poke wires into it and measure its heartbeat. But even then, we would still question it. We would still analyze every part of this happiness, until it no longer exists, and even our memories can barely grasp its reality. In today’s world, I wonder what happiness is. We grow up thinking that happiness is shopping or happiness is blissfully staring at a plasma television. But all of these things are material, they are artificial, and we have scammed ourselves into relying on them for ‘happiness’.
We create and consume so much that I believe we get so caught up in everything around us and forget what makes us really smile. Maybe it was when your friend accidentally tripped on her shoelace. Or maybe it was when you laughed so hard milk came out of your nose. We take so much for granted; and this leads to the oblivion I see so often around me. I feel so guilty sometimes for everything I have, all of my clothes and items. But I think that I can’t live without these things, but I know that in reality I could, that there are others out there who do live without these things. We are taught to live without our cell phones, without our ipods, we tell ourselves this so much that soon we believe it to be true. The more we consume, the more complicated things get, and the more troublesome our lives become. So how can we stop this monster we have created, and somehow achieve happiness along the way?

400king said...
wow, this is absolutely amazing. it perfectly sums up the world. Amanda helps too with the sterotype examples but this is exactly what people are today. I believe in our goals to achieve greatness and happiness we make ourselves miserable. Is it just me or aren't babies with absolutely nothing to worry about or responsibilites the happiest of all? Can people let it all go? The movie into the wild where "alexander supertramp" leaves society and just goes and along the way finds utt... (more »)

emmajumbilia replied...
Dec. 22, 2009 at 1:44 am
Thanks! :] i actually originally wrote this as a rant after reading 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley - I definetely recommend reading it if you haven't already

400king replied...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 10:44 am
we are actually reading that right now in class, we just got done with the first chapter and i think it's insane haha.

amandamichelle said...
Hey ;) guess whooooo?!
I've always wondered if our lives have more potential when we're given more or given less.
Why does the stereotypical rich child end up bratty and selfish?
Why does the stereotypical poor child end up depressed and lonely?
I think happiness is something that can only be achieved by living life in moderation. Humans are about being extreme in one aspect in their lives or another, yes? And from my experience and observation, just one ar... (more »)