Silent Screams

People admire there grace and beauty. We ride them and race them for our amusement. Everyone claims to care about them, but really no one does.

Race horses are often sent to slaughter houses simply because they are too old or too broken down to race anymore. In fact about 10% of race horses are slaughtered (at the age of four because they are “too old”).
When a horse is sent to a slaughter house it is herded into a small pen with so many other horses that it can’t even turn around. People use cattle prods to herd them and if one of them falls and can’t get up a fork lift is used to shove them on, which can break their bones and injure there organs so they slowly bleed to death.
After all that, they are forced in single file to the room where they will be killed. They are led to a pen full of ropes where they will have one tied to one of there back legs. Once that is done, a machine quickly pulls the rope up often dislocating their leg. They are then pulled, hanging from ropes, over an assembly line: The first stop is the place where they will have there throats slit (it can up to a minute for them to die) so that they will bleed out and make it less messy for the next stops: Step 2 is where they will be skinned and hooved: Step 3 is where they will be butchered: And the last step is where they will be packed and sent to makers of pet food.

Horses are amazing animals that deserve better then to die a slow, painful death. Luckily, there are people and places that try and save as many horses as possible. Hopefully someday this hideous slaughter will be put to an end.

A_Dreamer said...
Ewww, I never knew that.
That's a terrible way to treat horses. :(

Fayrouz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
humans forget that animals have souls sometimes. this is just tragic and this should stop. this is just plain sick, especially how they are killed. like human rights, animals have rights too...

BelmaH said...
Wow, i totally agree. the plight of the race horse is something that has bothered me for ages, and you presented their fate in a really touching manner. perhaps some notable examples of such cruelty (like in the news?) or the history/background of horseracing would be interesting.

Angel*music*lover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
why don't people just adopt them? horses are horses, and you should treat them nicely.

AnnonymousFate replied...
Dec. 27, 2009 at 10:25 am
This is very well written. You make some really great points. I have a cousin who absolutely loves horses and hopes to become a professional racer herself. I don't think that is the proper term, but you know what I mean. I agree that slaughter is gruesome and disturbing. Please check out some of my stuff as well. Particularly "Just a Guy" Thanks :)

~MidnightAngel~ replied...
Thanks for all the encouraging comments guys:-)