The Evils of the Internet | Teen Ink

The Evils of the Internet

By WalnutGirl BRONZE, BSB, Other
WalnutGirl BRONZE, BSB, Other

Knowledge is power!

World Wide Web or simply known, the internet. Most of us use it on a daily basis, but have we ever stop thinking about what the consequences are? In the world of internet, we have been introduced to sites used for communicating, advertising, selling, gathering information, videos or music, and so on.

In terms of communicating, yes, it has helped us. Using the online web messenger, internet emails such as Hotmail or Yahoo, and also the online website widely used which are Facebook or Twitter. This websites form a fast-link communication between our friends and family, and people that we have just known.
However does this help and prepare us for the future? Some of these young generations, who will be the leaders of our future, has somewhat become addicted to using them, and instead of having a face-to-face conversation, they are used to doing it online, where no vocal or face is involve. This doesn’t help because they should be accustomed to going out there and meeting new people face-to-face. Instead they meet strangers not knowing of their appearance and yet the truth if either those people they “chat” with are good or bad.

The internets are also widely used to post up videos and clips, especially of these young teens, doing things that are not “uncensored”. For example, smoking, dancing using clothes that are hard to the eyes, especially for those that is just learning. This might jeopardize their mind of thought, how they think they should dress and act. Seeing their favorite actor or actress in eye-boggling clothes in the internet may give a hard influence thinking how this is accepted in the society. So to prevent this from happening, society should really educate about what role the internet has done and teach the children and also the parents how to monitor what our children does in the internet.

Another harmful effect was that the internets were used to advertise job opportunities and junk emails that we aren’t sure if it was the truth or just a hoax. For instance, there was this 26-year old man who was caught smuggling drugs into a country. Investigations later told that he was set up by a man he known from the internet introducing a job opportunity abroad and that he had no idea about the drug that was placed in his bag. To conclude, we shouldn’t solely blame the internet because we should have expected this kind of event happening. What was wrong about it is this person should have investigated further if the advertisement were true, and should have known that the internet can lie and manipulate. This tells us that people, no matter how age, is not well informed about the dangers of the internet and how it can affect us on that moment or in later life.

We need to take a step back and realize how the world is creating this universe of people living in the realm of the internet, which makes up of pretty much false and fake assumption. We should realize that these young generations are always trying to look for answers. If we can’t answer them, are we trying to make the internet a role model for them? No. Learn together that we don’t need this but the fact of feeling of care and empathy and emotions, and together we’ll make a better place.

Sparaxis GOLD said...
Sparaxis GOLD, Saint Marys, Georgia

"If you keep on picking on me, I'll mess up again. This time, on PURPOSE."

The good thing is I used that experience and turned it into a morality tale.

Sparaxis GOLD said...
on Nov. 1 2016 at 8:17 am
Sparaxis GOLD, Saint Marys, Georgia

Yeah...I had a pretty bad experience with the Internet once. When in doubt DON'T check it out.