Creativity | Teen Ink

Creativity

October 4, 2009
By Missy143 SILVER, Rochester, New York
Missy143 SILVER, Rochester, New York
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Coloring in the lines is boring"


The world around me runs in a never ending routine. We wake up, go to work, do work at home, run errands, eat dinner, and go to bed. The only amount of change there would be is the weather gradually getting colder, but we only notice that in our 2 seconds that we walk from the house to the car.

People always say that they work first, have fun later. But work is never done, and then they never stop until they go to sleep. No one can take a break from work. Even if it is the weekends, there are bills to handle, rooms to clean, work work work.

Everyone only focuses on what is around us and what need’s to be done. Well maybe I want to be different. Why does there have to be a scientific reason behind everything? Whatever happened to dreaming about why the sky is blue? Maybe it’s that it’s the reflection of the ocean. Or maybe the Earth is simply blue just because… But then there came science class. And I found out that the reason its blue is because of the light being scattered from the sun. And the reason the grass is green is because of photosynthesis…

If we keep learning facts there’ll be no place left to wonder, to imagine. Soon we’ll just be walking talking dictionaries knowing everything there is to know. And soon everything will make sense that no one will ever ask a question. And once all the mysteries are solved, where will creativity stand? Since everything will be so logical, if you write a story about vampires or talking animals people will stop being interested in it.

Kids will be raised learning to never think outside of the box. They’ll force them to color white clouds instead of magenta or orange.

After a week of working on busyness, when I sit down to write I find myself staring at a blank screen. All’s that is in my mind is mathematical equations, and facts about Alexander the Great gaining control over the world. In the end he died because he was so focused on gaining more power. So why do we have to learn about it? It’s just another man who cared about getting more and more until he forgot what was the most important.

And that brings me back to what I was saying. Isn’t life supposed to be full of laughter, journeys and experience that we can tell our own kids? Well so far, the only thing I can imagine telling my kids is back in 2009 I read my history book and…outlined it! But really, kids will want to hear stories about adventures, and unfortunately I doubt I’ll be able to give them that. Some that are real anyway.

If you haven’t noticed, the books we like to read the most are the most creative ones. Twilight, for instance. Who would ever have thought to write a story with the ideas she had. And this book is probably the most popular book there is.

On the other hand, there is my global book. Probably the least creative book on the face of the earth. Everyone whines and complains about reading it.

See the comparison?


If everyone could just open there minds and let creativity take over, I think we’d all be a little happier.

And with our everyday lives, can’t you just imagine how much greater it would be with just a little more imagination?


The author's comments:
I think creativity is important for every individual. Life seems to be getting so serious, and sometimes we need a little imagination.