Creativity | Teen Ink

Creativity

By Missy143 SILVER, Rochester, New York
Missy143 SILVER, Rochester, New York

"Coloring in the lines is boring"

The world around me runs in a never ending routine. We wake up, go to work, do work at home, run errands, eat dinner, and go to bed. The only amount of change there would be is the weather gradually getting colder, but we only notice that in our 2 seconds that we walk from the house to the car.

People always say that they work first, have fun later. But work is never done, and then they never stop until they go to sleep. No one can take a break from work. Even if it is the weekends, there are bills to handle, rooms to clean, work work work.

Everyone only focuses on what is around us and what need’s to be done. Well maybe I want to be different. Why does there have to be a scientific reason behind everything? Whatever happened to dreaming about why the sky is blue? Maybe it’s that it’s the reflection of the ocean. Or maybe the Earth is simply blue just because… But then there came science class. And I found out that the reason its blue is because of the light being scattered from the sun. And the reason the grass is green is because of photosynthesis…

If we keep learning facts there’ll be no place left to wonder, to imagine. Soon we’ll just be walking talking dictionaries knowing everything there is to know. And soon everything will make sense that no one will ever ask a question. And once all the mysteries are solved, where will creativity stand? Since everything will be so logical, if you write a story about vampires or talking animals people will stop being interested in it.

Kids will be raised learning to never think outside of the box. They’ll force them to color white clouds instead of magenta or orange.

After a week of working on busyness, when I sit down to write I find myself staring at a blank screen. All’s that is in my mind is mathematical equations, and facts about Alexander the Great gaining control over the world. In the end he died because he was so focused on gaining more power. So why do we have to learn about it? It’s just another man who cared about getting more and more until he forgot what was the most important.

And that brings me back to what I was saying. Isn’t life supposed to be full of laughter, journeys and experience that we can tell our own kids? Well so far, the only thing I can imagine telling my kids is back in 2009 I read my history book and…outlined it! But really, kids will want to hear stories about adventures, and unfortunately I doubt I’ll be able to give them that. Some that are real anyway.

If you haven’t noticed, the books we like to read the most are the most creative ones. Twilight, for instance. Who would ever have thought to write a story with the ideas she had. And this book is probably the most popular book there is.

On the other hand, there is my global book. Probably the least creative book on the face of the earth. Everyone whines and complains about reading it.

See the comparison?

If everyone could just open there minds and let creativity take over, I think we’d all be a little happier.

And with our everyday lives, can’t you just imagine how much greater it would be with just a little more imagination?

I think creativity is important for every individual. Life seems to be getting so serious, and sometimes we need a little imagination.

BellaEzrebetFang SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

"I write as I breathe because if I didn't I would die."

So true. Just love this entry. Wonderful

BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois

I don't need a rose. I want a daisy you picked for my hair. I don't want some fancy box of chocolate. I want a pink frosting cookie you made just for me. Lets skip the upscale restaraunt and have a picnic in the park.

I totaly agree, and I am a chronic daydreamer, but in today's world creativity is not all that popular

lalalalisaa BRONZE, Rochester, New York

"I was always an unusual girl.
My mother told me I had a chameleon soul, no moral compass pointing due north, no fixed personality; just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide and as wavering as the ocean, and if I said I didn't plan for it to turn out this way I’d be lying.
Because I was born to be the other woman.
I belonged to no one, who belonged to everyone.
Who had nothing, who wanted everything, with a fire for every experience and an obsession for freedom that terrified me to the point that I couldn't even talk about it, and pushed me to a nomadic point of madness that both dazzled and dizzied me."

I LOVE THIS. so true miss , so true

Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

I totally agree with this! There should always be room in our lives to dream, to imagine, to come up with fictional stories. Imagination is a dying talent. Great article!

eMiLyP GOLD said...
eMiLyP GOLD, Jeannette, Pennsylvania

Life is short; speak your mind, say what ya wanna say, and do what ya wanna do (as long as you don't get caught!).

I totally, and completely agree with you. Creativity is so important, but it just seems to be withering away. I liked how you compared your global book to Twilight. It's seems like in school, we are deprived of our creativeness. I once had a teacher yell at me for typing a paper using colored ink instead of black. I wanted to show some creativity, but I lost points because of it. Scientists, and teachers are taking away our imaginations. You said that when you sit down to write, you find yourself staring at a blank screen, and I do too! All week I go to school, looking for things to inspire my writings, but when the weekend comes and I try to write, I cannot think of a single thing! I loved being little and not knowing things like why the sky was blue, as you said, but rather just enjoying the beauty of it without having to know WHY it is that way. I think it is good that you wrote this article because I think it will bring to people's attention that we ARE losing our creativity, and losing what makes us individuals.

PortraitWords SILVER, Bronx, New York

"Love me for my ugly, for my pretty is deceitful"

Absolutely! I definitely agree with you. When I was about four, my head was always in the clouds. I'd make up songs that didn't have rhymes in them. I created an alternate universe on the other side of the mirror. Once I entered high school the stress became way too much to bear. I'm currently in the middle of trying to convince my mother to let me take a break from school so I can run my website, learn how to sew, and learn to make things out of polymer clay. Adults are so uptight, and only care about facts. I really don't want it to be like that for me in a couple years. I fear it... GREAT article.