"friends"

What makes a friend? What qualities should a friend possess? What does it take to end a genuine friendship? Does it have to be something drastic like humiliation or discomfort or something petty like not being able to join the team or wanting to hangout with other friends? If it was over something petty, chances are, they were never your friend. What separates a friend from a mere acquaintance? There will be events in life that will make one sit down and really analyze the term “friend”. It’s used so frequently, “that’s my friend”, “here comes my friend”, “my best friend”, how much truth do these phrases really carry? Sometimes the term “friend” is just another synonym for the word “enemy”. Although people may say that they have a 100 of friends, in reality, there’s probably just 1. The other 99 might wake up tomorrow and be your worst enemy. Nothing should be able to destroy a good friendship or perhaps I’m lying to myself; maybe the term “friend” is just an illusion; maybe it functions to sugarcoat how many potential enemies you really have. The purpose is not to make anyone paranoid or antisocial, just rethink and analyze the term “friend” and the people who have been given that name because chances are, most of them do not deserve it.

BriarRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Popular people say they have tons of friends; all I know is that they have the most drama and my friends are almost my family. the term is WAY overused

Shadow_girl said...
Oct. 22, 2009 at 4:22 am
Yeah these comments are exactly what I'm thinking. I love friends, but sometimes I find 'friends' hard to get. (apart from the fact I'm a homeschooled chic!)

tisha said...
I had, many times. I still today wonder who my real friends are. Honestly I'm not so sure...I have a best friend but lately....it seems as though....well we're like fire and ice..
In any case I still do believe friendships are the greatest thing there is. Mostly my view is this when you really really need a friend to be there for you God will send someone, you probably would've never guessed but you and that person become so close. It's just that to remember it's o... (more »)

LonewriterCC said...
sometimes i get confuse what my friends are...just today i lost one of my closer friends because she felt she screwed up soo much that she wanted to be isolated or hang out with a group a don't like. Friends are just difficult to manage sometimes but you can always reflect on the good times and hope for the best

TDawnF_Twilightfan said...
The term Friend means a lot to some people! To me the Term "Friend" and "Best Friend' is someone who will stick by you no matter what happens. Someone who will always be by your side no matter what you have and don't have! It's someone who will stand up for you no matter what, who will always like you for who you are! Just like the saying is; "Don't walk behind me for i don't need a follower, Don't walk in front of me for i don't need a lead... (more »)

lalawitch said...
wow...thats really something to think about[=
wouldnt the term of "love" have the same issue?
i was debating with myself about that...
oh n great article