"friends" | Teen Ink

"friends"

September 28, 2009
By Vinson Pressley SILVER, Miami, Florida
Vinson Pressley SILVER, Miami, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

What makes a friend? What qualities should a friend possess? What does it take to end a genuine friendship? Does it have to be something drastic like humiliation or discomfort or something petty like not being able to join the team or wanting to hangout with other friends? If it was over something petty, chances are, they were never your friend. What separates a friend from a mere acquaintance? There will be events in life that will make one sit down and really analyze the term “friend”. It’s used so frequently, “that’s my friend”, “here comes my friend”, “my best friend”, how much truth do these phrases really carry? Sometimes the term “friend” is just another synonym for the word “enemy”. Although people may say that they have a 100 of friends, in reality, there’s probably just 1. The other 99 might wake up tomorrow and be your worst enemy. Nothing should be able to destroy a good friendship or perhaps I’m lying to myself; maybe the term “friend” is just an illusion; maybe it functions to sugarcoat how many potential enemies you really have. The purpose is not to make anyone paranoid or antisocial, just rethink and analyze the term “friend” and the people who have been given that name because chances are, most of them do not deserve it.

The author's comments:
Rethink who your friends are