"friends" | Teen Ink

"friends"

By Vinson Pressley SILVER, Miami, Florida
Vinson Pressley SILVER, Miami, Florida

What makes a friend? What qualities should a friend possess? What does it take to end a genuine friendship? Does it have to be something drastic like humiliation or discomfort or something petty like not being able to join the team or wanting to hangout with other friends? If it was over something petty, chances are, they were never your friend. What separates a friend from a mere acquaintance? There will be events in life that will make one sit down and really analyze the term “friend”. It’s used so frequently, “that’s my friend”, “here comes my friend”, “my best friend”, how much truth do these phrases really carry? Sometimes the term “friend” is just another synonym for the word “enemy”. Although people may say that they have a 100 of friends, in reality, there’s probably just 1. The other 99 might wake up tomorrow and be your worst enemy. Nothing should be able to destroy a good friendship or perhaps I’m lying to myself; maybe the term “friend” is just an illusion; maybe it functions to sugarcoat how many potential enemies you really have. The purpose is not to make anyone paranoid or antisocial, just rethink and analyze the term “friend” and the people who have been given that name because chances are, most of them do not deserve it.

Rethink who your friends are

on Oct. 31 2009 at 5:56 pm
BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois

I don't need a rose. I want a daisy you picked for my hair. I don't want some fancy box of chocolate. I want a pink frosting cookie you made just for me. Lets skip the upscale restaraunt and have a picnic in the park.

Popular people say they have tons of friends; all I know is that they have the most drama and my friends are almost my family. the term is WAY overused

Shadow_girl said...
on Oct. 22 2009 at 4:22 am
Yeah these comments are exactly what I'm thinking. I love friends, but sometimes I find 'friends' hard to get. (apart from the fact I'm a homeschooled chic!)

on Oct. 14 2009 at 10:38 pm
el-oh-el PLATINUM, Maloney Gardens, Other

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
-Marianne Williamson

I had, many times. I still today wonder who my real friends are. Honestly I'm not so sure...I have a best friend but lately....it seems as though....well we're like fire and ice..

In any case I still do believe friendships are the greatest thing there is. Mostly my view is this when you really really need a friend to be there for you God will send someone, you probably would've never guessed but you and that person become so close. It's just that to remember it's only temporary, they're just their to complete a task after that they almost....disappear...I like to think of it as angels returning to Heaven. Call me crazy, it's ok.

Also some people just use you and maybe if you've never really had a real friend you have no idea what friendship is suppose to be like so you just stay there forever being used...basically that's your hard luck.

But no matter what at the end of the day what it comes down to is this, I think friends...true friends are freaking awesome and should be treated as such.

LonewriterCC said...
on Oct. 13 2009 at 9:15 pm
LonewriterCC, Santee, California
sometimes i get confuse what my friends are...just today i lost one of my closer friends because she felt she screwed up soo much that she wanted to be isolated or hang out with a group a don't like. Friends are just difficult to manage sometimes but you can always reflect on the good times and hope for the best

on Oct. 12 2009 at 3:26 pm
The term Friend means a lot to some people! To me the Term "Friend" and "Best Friend' is someone who will stick by you no matter what happens. Someone who will always be by your side no matter what you have and don't have! It's someone who will stand up for you no matter what, who will always like you for who you are! Just like the saying is; "Don't walk behind me for i don't need a follower, Don't walk in front of me for i don't need a leader, Just walk beside me and be my friend!" Every person needs someone in there life to be there for them no matter what. It may be a guy or a girl which ever one it is, they are you best friend if they do all of the above!!! PS, Some people have more then one, I have at least 4 that i know will always be there for me not matter what happens!

on Oct. 9 2009 at 10:36 pm
criminalninja<33 SILVER, Hidalgo, Texas

"things are only as beautiful as u percieve them"

wow...thats really something to think about[=

wouldnt the term of "love" have the same issue?

i was debating with myself about that...

oh n great article