Do Something About It | Teen Ink

Do Something About It

By SarahAlive GOLD, Coppell, Texas
SarahAlive GOLD, Coppell, Texas

I will one day write a story building bridges across the sea.

I often find myself questioning the fairness of the lives we're born in to. In this world their are people our age who have never owned a pair of shoes; there are families who have never had access to clean drinking water; there are kids drugged, raped, forced to fightand worse; there are people born into terribly broken homes full of abuse; there are kids born into homelessness; and there are kids born with seriously debilitating diseases. Yet, here I am with every basic need met, a loving family, wonderful friends, an outstanding education, and a country in which I can worship freely.

We know that there is a meaning behind every life, but how can these situations seem even close to equitable? Those in the aforementioned situations are not found there of their own consequence. The seven year old fighting in Uganda did not pick up the AK-47 of his own will. The sixteen year old without shoes in Guatemala did not squander away his savings. They were born in to this. The fact is it isn't fair. Not by society's standards, not by moral standards, and not by God’s standards. We've all heard the phrase "Life's tough, get a helmet", but how about "Life's tough, lend a hand."

I know that I do not know all of your lives. I do not know who you are or where you come from. I do not know your story (though if you wish to share it, I’d be glad to listen). But I do know that no matter your circumstances, there is someone in this world worse off. The fact that you are able to read this right now tells me something of your standard of living.

I do not know if you believe in a higher power, but I don’t think you can deny that you have been blessed. I cannot claim responsibility for my parents’ love toward me. I could say that I worked hard in school, but I did nothing primarily to put myself in a position to be educated. Face it, we are blessed. And we are responsible for reaching out to those in need. If we do not, then who will? You can deceive yourself into thinking that things will be fine and that the person next to you will surely get the job done, but odds are they are currently reflecting the same sentiments towards you. As often as we try and shirk it, with great blessing comes great responsibility, and the greatest part of that responsibility is to share this blessing with others. Appreciate what you’ve been given. Stop taking everything for granted. Stop living life apathetically. Stop passively worrying about the problems of the world. And do something.

Inspired by TOMS Shoes, Invisible Children, Stop Traffic, Water is Basic, and my personal trip to an orphanage in Reynosa, MX.