One More Day to Live | Teen Ink

One More Day to Live

I have no idea what I would do if I had one more day to live, but I do know that there are some things that I want to do and some things that I need to do. I probably won’t be able to do half of these things. However, the one thing that I must do is be with my family. They mean more to me than anyone else, especially my brother Colby. Colby is the coolest and funniest person I have ever met and he is my favorite sibling.

Colby loves whatever he is doing, be it ice skating, watching a movie, playing basketball, etc. He has an awesome personality, and laughs at everything. One time a foam dart was accidentally thrown right into my cousin’s eye, and Colby just couldn’t stop laughing. He knew that it hurt and felt sorry for my cousin, but he just couldn’t stop. It’s not that he was laughing because my cousin got hurt, but because of all the places, it was her eye that was hit. “What’re the chances of that happening,” he said. This isn’t the only time that Colby has laughed at some dumb thing, or at something not so dumb, it’s just part of his personality and I can’t help but smile when I think of him and the good times we have shared.

The quote that probably means the most to me, although it isn’t my favorite, is “People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges.” It has been several weeks since I read that but there hasn’t been a day that has gone by where I haven’t thought of it at least once. If it is possible for a quote to describe someone, that is the quote that would describe me. I’m lonely. I have gone above and beyond a wall, I have built a fortress, a fortress so impregnable that no one, however hard and long they try, would be able to get in unless I say so. I have let very few people in, and then I either kick them out or they leave on their own until in the end, when all is said and done, the only ones left are my family and very few friends.

But just because I live in a fortress doesn’t mean that I can’t have fun. Many years ago, my family was out sledding on the mountainside. I was riding, or rather flying, down with my sister, Sierra. We were on a very old ski sled and apparently she didn’t know how to put on the brakes. We were going so fast that Sierra had to maneuver around trees, cut corners, and do just about everything in the book to not crash. She was obviously not very good at it because we eventually crashed right into the center of a gigantic tree. It’s almost as if Sierra knew there was no point in avoiding it. We thought that was so funny that we laughed the rest of the way down the mountain. I guess our snow suits cushioned the crash, or our memory just isn’t capable of remembering pain at a moment of great happiness.

Thinking of the cold, I remember back when I was young, and my family would go to Jakes Over the Top to get ice cream at least once a month. Whenever we went I always got the twist, half chocolate and half vanilla (since you can’t thoroughly enjoy one without the taste of the other). If I could do that again with my whole family, I would. To me it would be better than going to some fancy restaurant or a movie.

On my last day to live I would definitely be with my family. I wouldn’t even mind if we spent the whole day reminiscing about childhood. I wouldn’t go skydiving, scuba diving, or just plain diving, if I couldn’t do it with the best people in the world, my family.