Dear Diary, I Too Have a Dream | Teen Ink

Dear Diary, I Too Have a Dream

By Becca Mathew BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Becca Mathew BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois

Dear Diary,

Yesterday, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave a most encouraging, marvelous speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. I was fortunate to be a member of the audience during his oration. Dr. King spoke with such certainty; his voice was like the waves of the ocean, rising and falling steadily to the rhythm of his words. He spoke of freedom, equality, and justice for all. Imagine!

How Dr. King has such great faith in the future is beyond me. To some, he might seem foolish, to others, a waste of time, but to me, he is an inspiration. Never before have I heard such genuine words. Before he spoke, the whole world seemed to be holding its breath, waiting to hear his earnest voice that held hope for their weary souls. Then, as he began, in unison, a sigh of satisfaction seemed to escape from the crowd, each person envisioning Dr. King’s words. The words seemed to pour straight from his heart, leaving me awestruck and captivated.

“I have a dream,” he cried out with confidence, “that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed. 'We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal.'” I found myself swept away in his dream, wondering what America would be like if his vision was a reality. I gave this dream a special place in my heart to remind myself my role as a Negro in America. No, I do not have to be a famous orator like Dr. King, but the little things I can do will make a big difference in the lives of our future generations, both blacks and whites.

“This is our hope, “he proclaimed, “This is the faith with which I return to the South. With this faith we will be able to hew out the mountain of despair, a stone of hope.” I can see that Dr. King has already begun the breakthrough. I know it is up to the rest of us, even me, to persist and continue the work.

Sincerely,

Henrietta Marks

This piece is a fictional journal entry based on true events. It is set in the year 1963 and gives a first-hand look at what happened during Dr. King's famous "I Have a Dream Speech". I feel like this piece will give readers a greater understanding of the meaning and intensity of the speech. You could use my piece during Black History month if you would choose to publish it.