Not Just a Dream | Teen Ink

Not Just a Dream

By cassie youngblood BRONZE, Kent, Ohio
cassie youngblood BRONZE, Kent, Ohio

The world watched with doubtful eyes as Thomas Edison failed two thousand times while trying to invent the light bulb. Thomas Edison saw, with eyes full of burning determination, two thousand ways how not to make a light bulb. Not once did Thomas Edison give up. Not once did he let the mock they spoke get to him. Not once, did he abandon the faith he had in himself.

Determined. Determination holds the passion that drives us to fight for what we believe in. To me, nothing is as vital as determination in this deranged thing we call life. I have noticed that the largest changes in this world have been fought for by determined people. They stood up for what they believed in, and were determined not to let the faithless words of others stop them.

It took African Americans roughly 365 years to gain full civil rights in the United States. Through mental and physical trials, defeat after defeat, they never stopped. While I am sure I will acquire many traits on my adventure through life, I hope that I can become a person so full of determination, not even 365 years of the disbelief of others could challenge my dreams. I believe if I could gain that, then I would be invincible to the world.

Martin Luther King Jr. in my opinion, became invincible to the world. His mere words in his famous I Have a Dream speech made the hair on my back stand on end. Made me hesitate. Through all his heartache and trouble, he fought for what he believed in. While he gave his life for something believed in, it wasn’t just for him, but also the benefit of others, and that is why I truly look up to him. He used his words, his determination, so why can I not use my words? Instead of just sitting back, or doing something ineffective, I could go out into the world and do something to help those who cannot help themselves, just as Dr. King did. If I let my determination compel me to fight for my dreams, there is no doubt in my mind that I could change things. Anyone could.

Thinking about determination is not enough, and it will not be enough until we use it to make a change. If the determination of just one mad can change a minute, an hour, a day, a year…what could the determination of the world do?

I wrote this piece as a school project, but it ended in something more. Something I truly feel and think people need to know, just keep trying.