Sexist Burger King Commercial | Teen Ink

Sexist Burger King Commercial

July 14, 2009
By D..j.. PLATINUM, Clifton, New Jersey
D..j.. PLATINUM, Clifton, New Jersey
26 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is not what you are or how much you own, but who you are.


Recently, Burger King has made another Sponge Bob themed commercial. It features a remix of sorts to Sir Mix-a-lots “Baby Got Back” with women in tight clothing with square buttocks that are being measured by the Burger King next to a television playing Sponge Bob. It is extremely degrading towards women. It is also very graphic. It is immensely inappropriate to be targeted to an audience of young children. This commercial is a merge of Burger King and Nickelodeon. Many parents are complaining that this commercial should be discontinued. They say it doesn’t deserve to be surrounded by so much controversy. This commercial has too much of a sex appeal to be shown to small children on a children’s network. Is it truly necessary to sell food by advertising the bodies of young women? Others say that most people who watch Sponge Bob are people in college who need to de-stress. They say the song is very popular among small children and, also that the children will laugh at the commercial. Most say that if the ad was inappropriate, it would have been removed from the airwaves.


The author's comments:
Personally, when I first saw this commercial, I felt sickened. Women are constantly being degraded because of a lack of respect towards us. This commercial is supposed to be selling food, not selling women’s bodies. I don’t believe that women should be treated with any less respect than men should. After all of the things women have done for this society, why do we disregard their feelings with sexist songs, remarks, commercials, television shows, films, and pictures? In a society like this, we have to remind ourselves of one thing: Without women, no men would be here either. In conclusion, why can’t women be treated as equals?