Sexist Burger King Commercial | Teen Ink

Sexist Burger King Commercial

By D..j.. PLATINUM, Clifton, New Jersey
D..j.. PLATINUM, Clifton, New Jersey

It is not what you are or how much you own, but who you are.

Recently, Burger King has made another Sponge Bob themed commercial. It features a remix of sorts to Sir Mix-a-lots “Baby Got Back” with women in tight clothing with square buttocks that are being measured by the Burger King next to a television playing Sponge Bob. It is extremely degrading towards women. It is also very graphic. It is immensely inappropriate to be targeted to an audience of young children. This commercial is a merge of Burger King and Nickelodeon. Many parents are complaining that this commercial should be discontinued. They say it doesn’t deserve to be surrounded by so much controversy. This commercial has too much of a sex appeal to be shown to small children on a children’s network. Is it truly necessary to sell food by advertising the bodies of young women? Others say that most people who watch Sponge Bob are people in college who need to de-stress. They say the song is very popular among small children and, also that the children will laugh at the commercial. Most say that if the ad was inappropriate, it would have been removed from the airwaves.

Personally, when I first saw this commercial, I felt sickened. Women are constantly being degraded because of a lack of respect towards us. This commercial is supposed to be selling food, not selling women’s bodies. I don’t believe that women should be treated with any less respect than men should. After all of the things women have done for this society, why do we disregard their feelings with sexist songs, remarks, commercials, television shows, films, and pictures? In a society like this, we have to remind ourselves of one thing: Without women, no men would be here either. In conclusion, why can’t women be treated as equals?

writingrox BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore)

This commercial was disgusting. Do they want young childen to learn that exposing young women's bodies like that is OK? There was no reason to do that to a fast food commercial.

Annabelle7614, Nunyabusiness, Georgia

This is my favorite personal quote.

This is a very good article. I agree women are degraded wayyy to often and it only gets worse as time goes by. I am really offended when people do this. Ditto to you for getting the word out.

Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
DUDE (or dudette), I AGREE! It's all about SEX these days. Really, it's disgusting, I agree. But people post what sells. And sex sells these days. Nice opinion, I like how you wrote an article on commercial. I've never seen that before, or yet. Great job!

Gossamer said...
Gossamer, North Hill, Other

Love. I don't care what happened or who did it to you. Love anyway.

If it was inappropriate, it would have been removed?! So they want to let other people decide what's okay to put on TV?! Oy.

I once saw a commercial for ice pops that was even worse - there were ladies dancing in string skirts that covered only half their butts, they weren't wearing any underwear, and there was a closeup on their butts.

Oh, there's one thing about this article that confuses me - first you say that parents are against it, then that they say it shouldn't be surrounded by so much controversy?