Letting go of an old friend. | Teen Ink

Letting go of an old friend.

March 1, 2009
By Anonymous

My best friend and I have been friends for 9 years. And no matter what happened we were always there for eachother. Whatever the fight we always talked it out. As we grew older I began to see him change. He took his anger out on me for whatever the reson. He never hit me but his words hurt just as bad. This is a true story about how sometimes no matter what 2 friends have been through, no matter how much you care about them. Sometimes whats best for yourself, is to let them go and move on. This is that story. Well him and I first met at the church I and my mother had been going to. I was 8 and he was 10. We weren't best friends right off the bat but we had talked a couple of times. a few years past and him and I got closer and closer. A friendship had started. He eventually stopped coming to church and we both went to differant schools so church was the only place I ever got to see him. Later that same year I found out that he was a host at TGI Fridays. So I went and him I got back in touch. And we both got really close. Worst part of it was I was starting to devlop a crush on him. uh oh. I was having trouble in Algebra at the time and he offered to tutor me and help me actually get a good grade in school. He did well I understood better. He even gave me "homework" a couple of times, which I so didn't like. But anyway. Later that year was my 15th birthday and after my party he took me to one of his friend's party. Oh my gosh. . . . It was fun. And then he randomly kissed me. Great as if I wasn't confused enough. I asked him about it and he said it was just a chemestry test. yeah ok. . . Him and I hung out more and more. Every chance I could get him and I hung out. He told me he had feelings for me but I was 2 years younger then him and he was going away to college in just a matter of months. So I still had my feeling for him I just wasn't verbal about it. He moved away and he didnt't talk to me for months for reasons I've yet to come to knowledge with but I blew it off. Him and I got thouhh another fight so I was ok. As long as I was still friends with my bestiest friend then I was fine. Well when he came back he was differant, changed more cocky and full of himself. Way much more like a player. But I didn't say anything because I didn't want to start a fight. I know I should have but I didn't. A few months past and his mother went into the hospital they said she wouldn't make it. He was, yet again, mad at me for somthing but I didn't care because I thought of his mom and his younger brother as family so I went to the hospital to be there for the family. I didn't leave till they did. and I went almost everytime they did. Untill the time he wanted everyone else to go and he wanted to stay by himself. I wasn't going to allow that so I stayed and so did my freind Marley. (girl) His psyco ex had also called after all this. He was already upset enough and this had just made it worse. He walked outside and kicked in a window and then he punched a wall. For a minute he was ok he told us to hide all the beer. So we did. Then like a light switch he changed to crazy mad mode and said to me "if she doesn't bring the beer back in from her car I'm gonna do to her car what I did to that window" I was scared. I said you need to calm down and stop drinking. He flipped got in my face and screamed for what seemed like an hour. After everyone got back he took every single past mistake I had ever made and he threw it in my face. A 19 year old "man" took his anger out on a 16 year old girl. Him and I haven't talked since. Apart of me still cares about him. Because we'd known eachother for so long. And I wanted to fix that whole mess. But I realized that sometimes the best thing to do is walk away. He had used me as a verbal punching bag for so long, I had had enough. So he's on with his life and I'm on with mine. I guess we just weren't meant to be friends. So now I say this everytime someone says his name, Here's to the future, Cause I'm done with the past." I do still care about him, but that doesn't mean I have to put up with his crap. Everything happens for a reason, which means there is a reason for this too.

The author's comments:
I hope you all realize that sometimes it is best to walk away. A true friend doesn't keep you around as a convience. A true listens to what you have to say and a true friend speaks up when their friend is going down hill.