Feminism in the Young Woman | Teen Ink

Feminism in the Young Woman

By EmilyDuckworth BRONZE, Augusta, Georgia
EmilyDuckworth BRONZE, Augusta, Georgia

How to be a young woman in today's cutthroat organized patriarchal society. Since we first open our eyes were told be the quiet shy put together girl who gets good grades never lets a boy go to first base because it’s a bad look to want that sort of thing, were told to sit straight with our mouths closed about the things that should not concern us. And most of all do it with a smile on your face. It’s brainwashing from day one. As a society were not bringing up strong independent outspoken women, were bringing up robots made for men to look at and be pleased with. We should be teaching our young female minds that the only way to be a woman is to be. 

The best quote i think that sums up the female experience was America Ferrera in the Barabie movie, “It is literally impossible to be a woman. You are so beautiful, and so smart, and it kills me that you don't think you're good enough. Like, we have to always be extraordinary, but somehow we're always doing it wrong.

You have to be thin, but not too thin. And you can never say you want to be thin. You have to say you want to be healthy, but also you have to be thin. You have to have money, but you can't ask for money because that's crass. You have to be a boss, but you can't be mean. You have to lead, but you can't squash other people's ideas. You're supposed to love being a mother, but don't talk about your kids all the time. You have to be a career woman but also always be looking out for other people.

You have to answer for men's bad behavior, which is insane, but if you point that out, you're accused of complaining. You're supposed to stay pretty for men, but not so pretty that you tempt them too much or that you threaten other women because you're supposed to be a part of the sisterhood.

But always stand out and always be grateful. But never forget that the system is rigged. So find a way to acknowledge that but also always be grateful.

You have to never get old, never be rude, never show off, never be selfish, never fall down, never fail, never show fear, never get out of line. It's too hard! It's too contradictory and nobody gives you a medal or says thank you! And it turns out in fact that not only are you doing everything wrong, but also everything is your fault.

I'm just so tired of watching myself and every single other woman tie herself into knots so that people will like us. And if all of that is also true for a doll just representing women, then I don't even know.” I wanna focus on her first line in this monologue, “It is literally impossible to be a woman.”  That single one liner killed me in the theater because it’s so true. I mean in books, movies, tv shows, etc where seeings all different types of women written by all different types of people and children often pick one or a few to model themselves after but we quickly realize that most of the standards those characters have don’t fit into the real world of woman hood. For example, many little girls grow up with disney princesses watching these women get sweeped up off their feet and nothing else mattered to them, I mean for crying out loud Princess Aurora in Sleeping Beauty had a total of 18 lines in the whole movie. We see these quiet girls with a dream of love and many of us become obsessed with the idea that the perfect boy will make us happy and only that will fix all problems that are happening in our lives. Things like this teach young girls that a pretty face and a charming laugh is the only redeeming qualities that a woman can have. I say we change the system to teach girls to speak out on what’s important to them no matter how scary, to be free to express how there feeling throwing out there charming laughs and sweet smiles. 

The war on our bodies. Everyday a woman young or old wakes up there’s a million people telling her a million ways to look. “Oh that skirts too short go change.” Or “Baggy clothes do nothing for your figure go change and look like a girl.”  Your gonna hear don’t be fat, don’t have frizzy hair, wear makeup but not to much because men like the natural look. We are treated like we were made to look a certain why, the way of pleasing the male gaze. Made to be stared at like store mannequins until a man approves and takes us home. This archaic system we live in is made by men and for centuries we let them lead the way we think talk walk eat sleep breath but not anymore the 21st century is a new dawn for feminism all over and even if your reading this as a non feminist you should try to understand the good of the change we’re trying to invoke.                                             

The problem with the new ages. The thought of a new age brings hope to a lot of people but every new age has new issues we need to deal with. For example, with this new age we have the internet as a serious problem in our lives. The things younger generations of girls are seeing is terrifying. Seeing things like Andrew Tate with his alpha male complex invites a whole new fear into women. The thought that young men are watching him and “learning” from his teachings of keeping women down treating them like objects for men to play with is not a small thing to brush off the table. nHe may be in jail but there are a million more men like him in this world trying to teach young boys to hate and shove your emotions down because emotions are for girls. Kids have access to too much. There's so much hate already in the world and the internet is a way to spread it faster but if we use it in a good way we can reach young girls and show them the good in the cause were trying to show the world but the Trump’s and Tates keep getting in our way like they have been since the dawn of time.   

To end this brief yet informative statement I want to say one thing to all women who have ever been made to feel as if there wrong, their thoughts and ideas were wrong, the way they dressed is wrong. Your not wrong your valid and worth listening.        

My name is Emily D. I’m a 16 year old who has always dreamed of reporting the truth of the state of our world no matter how messy. This piece sums up the reality of a young woman’s struggles in a short context.