A Song That Matters Now | Teen Ink

A Song That Matters Now

By ashleysnyder BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania
ashleysnyder BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania

A viral sensation, Silver Springs by Fleetwood Mac has been the topic of discussion on the internet over the past few weeks. The video footage captured during the 1997 live performance has gained popularity, as Stevie Nicks, the lead singer and songwriter, performs the song with a fiery resentment for Lindsey Buckingham, the lead guitarist as well as her ex. The internet is intrigued to learn about Stevie's intents of the song and are inspired by her fierce performance to her ex-lover. As the song circulates, more listeners delve into the meaning behind the rigid lyrics. 

Understanding the background of Fleetwood Mac and its members is crucial to grasp what, or who, 'Silver Springs' is truly about. Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham started dating in 1971. The couple created songs as a pair until they were asked to join Fleetwood Mac in 1974, where they quickly started producing music for the band’s new album, "Rumors". Throughout the creation of this album, the band chemistry went to ruins as all its members experienced rocky breakups. Lindsey and Stevie broke up in 1976, and the other members of the band had affairs and got divorces. This rough patch in the band was unfortunate, but it channeled musical greatness; Stevie and Lindsey both wrote petty breakup songs, adding vengeance and anger to the album. Among these songs was Silver Springs, written and sung by Stevie Nicks. This song, however, did not make the cut for the Rumors album, which was released in 1977. Instead, it was tagged onto a single, "Go Your Own Way", written by Lindsey.

Despite not getting much attention when it was dropped, "Silver Springs" was performed live at "The Dance" reunion show in 1997. During the performance, Stevie Nicks sings her lyrics, "Was I such a fool? You'll never get away from the sound of the woman that loves you," staring intensely at Lindsey Buckingham, who is playing guitar alongside her. The live version of the song was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals in 1998. It also appeared on billboards internationally, ranking 41 on US Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart, 38 on the Canadian RPM Top Singles chart, and 96 on Dutch Single Top 100. Although Stevie Nicks believed "Silver Springs" would never be performed live after its release, the song was a smashing success for Nicks and the band.

In the song, Stevie Nicks mourns the breakup, and refers to her past relationship as her "silver spring", reminiscing on how beautiful the connection could have been. Nicks reminds her ex-fling, Lindsey, that he will never stop thinking of or hearing her: "I'll follow you down 'til the sound of my voice will haunt you." She wants to engrave into Lindsey's head that, once you love someone, you will never let them go completely. Since the live performance video has been rediscovered, people recollect their past relationships. The video recording of the song's live performance in 1997 has gone viral, and viewers love the passion in Stevie's voice as she sings fiercely at her ex. A new trend has also appeared using the song, as people find reasons why their ex will "never get away" from them. For example, if a girl's name is Mary, her ex will never stop thinking about her because he will have to say her name if he is talking about marriage. This trend has gained popularity, as more people find ridiculous reasons of why their ex will "never get away from the sound of the woman that loves you". 

Stevie's riveting performance has instilled a sense of power in her audience, making them believe their exes will always think of them. The heartbroken singles no longer mourn their past relationships, and the iconic performance has managed to uplift the once grieving individuals in a delusional, yet effective way by encouraging the confidence that they will move on to better relationships. By watching Stevie stand up to her ex in such a powerful manner, viewers are given reason to believe that they can do the same.

I wrote this piece about one of my favorite songs, Silver Springs. I'd seen it on Tiktok and I really liked it. I also noticed people talking/commenting about how iconic Stevie Nicks was for what she did during the live performance, so I looked into the background and wrote an analysis.