UN Indigenous People Speech | Teen Ink

UN Indigenous People Speech

By karunvarra BRONZE, Porter Ranch, California
karunvarra BRONZE, Porter Ranch, California

Throughout history the right of self determination to indigenous peoples around the world has been rarely addressed. Being discriminated against for their right to declare themselves as an independent nation pushes them to face difficult challenges in this new era. Native people make up about 15% of the world’s extreme poor as they are often denied the natural resources of their lands. As a supporter of The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People, known as UNDRIP, France hopes to improve indigenous people’s cultural rights, individual and collective rights, rights to education, health, employment, language and more. Currently the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples or EMRIP observes UNDRIP, but more global change is needed. France puts forth that the topic of wrongful actions committed toward indigenous people and their culture is established in current education. Implementing this area of knowledge in universities in schools would not only bring awareness to this topic, but preserve the culture of indigenous tribes and help change toward these peoples. Together the world can work together to help these oppressed people into becoming the prominent independent nations they deserve to become.

This speech was written for a MUN conference and addresses the problem, global efforts, and what should be done for the indigenous peoples of the world. It was written on Feburary 3rd 2023.