Is fairness just an idea or something that we actually put into practice? | Teen Ink

Is fairness just an idea or something that we actually put into practice?

September 24, 2023
By Anonymous

The Oxford English Dictionary defines fairness as,, Honesty; impartiality, equitableness, justness; fair dealing.” When we think about a fair situation, we think that all parties involved got what they deserved. Hopefully, the good side succeeded in getting revenge and the bad side in getting the punishment they deserved, but that is fiction. In the real world, status and money are the main components of justice. If you are rich or have a certain celebrity status, your crimes will be forgotten, no matter how cruel the crimes committed by you were, while poor people might get a huge sentence just because they stole a loaf of bread to feed their family in this declining economy. It’s a dystopia and there is no way out.

People want to say that women and men are now equal, but that is far from the truth. This can be seen especially in the film/music industries. For example, beauty. A man that is in his early 50s will be considered a silver fox. The media will paint him as being the most handsome man in the whole industry. A woman will have to start getting plastic surgery to look resplendent and youthful, just for her to keep on earning a salary. If the producers see a woman who has aged naturally and just looks like a normal woman, they will veto her as she won't appease the crowd of men wanting to see the movie. If you want to get into this industry as a woman, be prepared to make sacrifices and get life-altering surgery just to remain popular and earn a loaf of bread. It’s simply not fair.

Celebrities don’t have the same sense of fairness that we all we. They think that just because they have a high status, they can make every situation about them. As an example, global warming is worsened by famous people. We try to recycle and try to actually make a change. That must account for something, right? Well, no matter how hard you try to make a difference, someone will have already flown out with their private jet and made your progress account for nothing. We pay for their products and concert tickets and think that we are making a great decision. They can literally commit a crime and it will forgotten. When a regular human commits a small offense, their life is ruined. They will no longer be able to get a job and thus become homeless. Now, if someone commits a crime they deserve to be charged and put in prison. I am just pointing out the difference that status can make. Fairness is not a word in their vocabulary.

People are treated better if their clothes are from luxury high-end stores. Look at some outfits worn by famous people and tell me they don’t look ridiculous. If I was wearing that, I would be ruthlessly bullied. This may seem very superficial as clothes aren’t that important, but it opens a door to a conversation about privilege. Clothes are just a small part of it that gets ignored. Everyone has a different type of privilege, but some are advanced by this privilege. For example, nepo babies. They are the children of famous people and thus they can get into the parent’s perspective industry with the snap of a finger. Some examples of nepo babies are Lily-Rose Depp(whose father is Johnny Depp) and Emma Roberts(whose father is Eric Roberts). I am not calling their acting bad, just pointing out the fact that they didn’t have to work to get where they are now. Lily has recently made her acting debut in the HBO Max show, The Idol” She costarred with The Weekend himself. This show can only be described as a modern tragedy. Even though it was a bad show, it was directed by Sam Levinson. It obfuscates how someone who Is new to the industry can have their first show directed by a renowned person. Most new actors start with unknown movies and slowly build up their reputation if that even happens. It's not fair for an actually talented person to struggle to get a role, while your average nepo baby can star in a million-dollar production.

We live in an unfair world, but that doesn’t mean we have to give up. Although someone with a higher status will 100% dominate us, don’t let that bring you down. As long as you live a fair life and aren’t always in the media, be happy! After all, they do say that fame is a drug.


The author's comments:

I wrote this article as I was inspired by my homework. It sound weird but this topic intrigued me.

I am just 15 so feel free to leave suggestions to make my writing better.