Critical Race Theory in Classrooms | Teen Ink

Critical Race Theory in Classrooms

By Laila_93 BRONZE, Missoula, Montana
Laila_93 BRONZE, Missoula, Montana

“I look at books as a form of activism because a lot of times they’ll show us a side of the world that we may have not known about.” -Angie Thomas

Critical Race Theory Within Classrooms

Have you ever questioned the harshness of history being taught in school? You wouldn’t be the first. Yes, the history of our country is complex and isn’t always sweet and easygoing. However, it’s history, and we cannot change it. A major controversial topic for school curriculums is the Critical Race Theory (CRT) used within history classes. The CRT is used in sociology as a lens for social and political structures. It also provides insight into power distribution and legal systems (“Critical race theory”). This was developed in 1989 and examined laws and institutions for racial bias (“Critical race theory”). The CRT appears in our educational, political, criminal justice, and civil-rights system. Specifically, the academic portion of Critical Race Theory should be taught within classrooms. It is an intellectual framework based on racial bias in systems. CRT provides students with an understanding of how the past evolved. Teaching CRT within the school will provide students with an awareness of how and why structures were put into place that repressed minority populations. Learning about CRT will help students become individuals who will be aware of the different designs and laws that are unfair to specific people. The knowledge will benefit future generations because they will apprehend that such systems are unjust and willing to change the future for equality for all. Considering this is a loaded topic for history, students need to foresee that CRT is not implying every being within that race acts, or participates in the behavior and affairs, that they did in former times. 

History is history. That is a fact, and we can do nothing about it. The past is in the past; no changes can be made. Academically students need to learn how our country functioned in past times. This is necessary because it provides students with the feeling of identity, sort of like a legacy that they must continue to pursue (Learning From the Past: The Importance of History to a Child's Education, 2017). Not only does teaching history allow students to gain identity, but it also teaches them responsibility. They learn from known and unknown figures who fought and had to go through difficult circumstances and how they persevered through it. The commitment that people had to take in the past may even encourage students to take more responsibility or put more effort into their life ( From the Past: The Importance of History to a Child's Education, 2017). Students learn about outstanding accomplishments made in history but also mistakes made in history. They are learning that allows students to understand how we can better our ways and learn from those mistakes and minor errors caught in history. They can correct and make more intelligent and safer decisions on a day-to-day basis. (Deutsch, n.d.). History is how it is; it consists of many systems and rituals, including racist bias and unfair behaviors. Even though it may be very uncomfortable for students to discuss and learn about, we must teach it. Critical Race Theory is just a connection between the past and the present. We must continue to teach it as it is so students can academically and socially benefit from it. 

Teaching history with Critical Race Theory in its curriculum is a very hardcore thing for students to learn about. As it is being taught, students and parents must recognize that teaching history with CRT does not imply that sure students are oppressors and others are oppressed. It is simply teaching students how systems in the past were racist and how those patterns throughout history functioned and need to end. Some say the framework (CRT) calls out white students and intentionally makes them “feel bad.” However, that is not what CRT is doing. We cannot change how the past is; thus, we cannot sugarcoat or whitewash it. White students shouldn’t be taking this personally. If a math class did an example problem and, coincidentally, a student's name was in the example, the student shouldn’t take it amiss or feel targeted. The same goes for teaching with CRT; it’s for learning, not shaming. The Critical Race Theory isn’t just applied in academic aspects. Therefore, everyone who isn’t in the education department needs to understand that it is not being taught and used to preserve white power or create reverse racism.

Knowledge is compelling, and when our society fails to recognize the existence of inequities and inequalities in social and educational systems, we then lack the ability and success to acknowledge and address present issues, causing those issues to persist (Rydbom, 2022). Students are our society’s best chance at change for the future. They can learn about and from current issues, then use them to change upcoming generations. For example, police brutality has been used based on racial bias; if we ignore it, it will only continue to happen. Although we face it and make changes, it won’t continue to happen. Teaching Critical Race Theory will enhance the chances of change throughout society’s racial bias because students will have learned how it functioned in the past and can abstain from letting it continue for generations. Teaching it provides a chance for a better outcome in society and on a personal level. Students can understand that treating or classifying others based on race is wrong; it may even encourage students not to judge. 

Ultimately the Critical Race Theory must be taught in classes, particularly history. It should not be banned in states and should continue to be prepared because it does not shame nor harm students; it’s beneficial and will ensure that kids learn the cold, hard truth about our history. Some states have considered banning CRT from curriculums when schools should heighten its use. States that deny the Critical Race Theory are whitewashing students by refusing to teach the truth. It is not protecting or keeping kids safe; it’s not beneficial to kids because they aren’t learning the entire history. Critical Race Theory needs to be taught in history classes; it is propitious for our future, it’s valuable for students personally and socially, and they will have to understand the past and how to refrain from it repeating. The Critical Race Theory is essential for our country, and education is the best way to influence students to make changes in the future.

References

Anderson, J. (2022, February 23). Harvard EdCast: The State of Critical Race Theory in Education. Harvard Graduate School of Education. Retrieved February 10, 2023, from gse.harvard.edu/news/22/02/harvard-edcast-state-critical-race-theory-education

Critical race theory. (n.d.). Wikipedia. Retrieved January 31, 2023, from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory

Deutsch, S. (n.d.). DLTK's Crafts for Kids Why should we teach our children history? DLTK. Retrieved February 13, 2023, from dltk-kids.com/articles/whyhistory.html

Learning from the past: The importance of history to a child's education. (2017, February 27). Around DB. Retrieved February 13, 2023, from arounddb.com/around-db-articles/family-lore/learning-from-the-past-the-importance-of-history-to-a-childs-education/

Rydbom, A. (2022, April 25). The Importance of Teaching CRT - IMPRINT. Retrieved February 28, 2023, from cah.ucf.edu/imprint/the-importance-of-teaching-crt/

This is really important to me  and I hope it is for others out there. Hopefully, people who don’t understand or side with this topic will after reading this. Feedback is always wanted!