Gun Violence | Teen Ink

Gun Violence

Gun: “A weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets, shells, or other missiles are propelled by explosive force, typically making a characteristic loud, sharp noise.” Or in my words, a metal tube that propels danger to others, causing loud sharp cries from those who lost loved ones. Guns do protect us, but did you ever think that something used to protect would cause the most devastating deaths in the world?

Times change, and with change comes different ideas and problems. One change was that crime increased, so fear increased. Firearms were bought to protect the lives of others, but sadly the amount of people who have died is greater than the number of people who have been protected. Civilians should not be able to own, carry, or purchase guns because it allows for a greater chance of those who aren't eligible to have one, gain access to one.

Each day, a different headline: The Buffalo supermarket shooting of 2022, the Nashville shooting that happened only a month ago. According to EconoFact.com almost 25,00 people are killed by murder, but 80% of those murders were done by the use of a firearm. People don’t give a second thought when they see a good person show up with a permit and buy a gun, but that good person can change, including their mind and rational thought. People hurt and through suffering some of the most tragic incidents occur. 

The Nashville shooting, according to NBC, caused three children and school personnel to be killed, and was caused by the suspect’s emotional pain from the death of her friend. Audrey Hale, 28, purchased firearms and brought havoc to a community. People will think rashly, when they are in a difficult time. According to smashingmagzine.com “Even the big decisions where we think we are being logical…are made unconsciously and involve emotion.” Another example is from an article writers Shawn Hubler and Amy Harmon wrote where they talk about one of the massacres that happened in California where there are more than 100 gun laws. In the shooting of Half Moon Bay, the suspect was revealed to not be “in his right mind.” The stresses of his personal life were getting to him, says the article; that he “snapped after a supervisor billed him.” 

People worry about their safety, but there are other ways to protect oneself without the use of a firearm. You shouldn't have to worry about being shot when going out in public. Children shouldn’t have to worry when they go to school. Civilians should not have guns. 

People will always change, so could someone's future. 

I wrote this piece becuase I felt that it was something relevant to talk about as I was a person going to school and gun violence is a big topic in schools right now.