Things about Guatemala | Teen Ink

Things about Guatemala

Some people live in Guatemala, but do you know how they are and how it is? Guatemala is a unique country that most people don’t know because Mexico is more popular and there with similar things about Guatemala but not all tho.  Some of us have been to Guatemala before or are in Guatemala right now, it’s very different from where you are. One of the places is super hot and calms down a little when it’s night but not entirely and has a lot of bugs around, it pours a lot of rain when there is. There is the cloudy one when it’s so foggy that you can’t see far enough and when it rains it’s regularly. Then there is like the middle when it’s sunny and it showers. 

Other weathers 
For others in experience depending on where you are, if it’s really sunny you should go out and do your work like washing your clothes or selling stuff while walking around. It’s cloudy and you should stay inside cook and stay by the fire because it could be chilly. In the middle like the capital you can go out and do regular activities in the United States but in a different way.

Getting Around
The people who live/ed in Guatemala know that it is very different from the United States. There are only a few people who own their own vehicles when they want to travel it may be a taxi car to a taxi bus. In the United States, you also have done but in the car, you get your very own seat with no one sitting with you which is unknown. In Guatemala, you get squished in one seat with others whether you know them or not, in the car you just go in one with someone else who is also may be going with you or somewhere during the ride. 

Work/Jobs
Believe it or not, there are not many ways to get money to earn a living. If you are in the capital there are more opportunities than in another place, the capital is Guatemala City where the most common stuff in America. If you live other than Guatemala city there are some jobs for men but not really for women. You can have your own store to sell but you have to buy everything at the same price to make it a store.  You can plant or create your own objects and sell it to a flea market even your own animals. For women it can be washing other people's clothes by hand, for men, it’s buildings and driving others as a taxi driver.

Greetings 
In Guatemala, there should be a lot of respect or you will get punished by your guardian or if you don’t have one people will not treat you in a respectful way. Whenever you wake up you go up to the older people who live with you (siblings don’t count) and take their hand or they put their hand right in front of you you take it and put it on your forehead and say good morning. When you go somewhere for a long time you still have to greet them if you saw them today “good afternoon” you don’t have to do the thing with the hand and forehead again. When it’s nighttime to sleep you also have to say good night, you usually do the hand and forehead when you see them for the first time in the day.

Safety
Guatemala is a beautiful country to visit sometime but it isn't the safest country to travel alone. If you have no one to travel with you or none of you know how to speak Spanish you should probably get a guide to travel where you want to guide you. There are some apps that will probably help you like translating reading and speaking. When you get a hotel you should not get one with people because they might be dangerous and probably do things that are not good for them. If you are going to visit somewhere poor don’t go outside at night because there are people or animals that might try to sneak up on you and hurt you. Usually, there is no one trying to hurt you unless it’s alone, animals are always there so grab something to defend yourself and try to hurt them before they do, it’s better for you to be safe only if they are trying to attack. Try to blend like the others when you go to a place with a lot of people, like I said Guatemala is a poor country where people will do anything to get money from someone who actually has the money. If they see you from a wealthy country they will try to scam/steal from you or something even worse just for money.

Visit Guatemala! :)