The Loss Of Shelter | Teen Ink

The Loss Of Shelter

February 7, 2023
By Anonymous

Coming into 2023 we still have an enormous amount of homeless people. It’s tragic to know that we are currently sitting at around 150,000 homeless people around the world. About one-third of Californians who are homeless on any one night have significant health issues and are chronically homeless. The most fundamental basis for good health is home.

With everything going on in the world right now homelessness is an apparent problem still. After the rapid price changes during the pandemic time, taxes, and many more things raising afterward the pricing of housing is at a peak. This is why homelessness is so severe in states like California and Hawaii for example because of the grand prices they have to offer. First of all, homelessness has a significant effect on general health. People who are homeless are more likely to have various health challenges, such as mental health problems, physical injuries, and exposure to infectious infections. This has an impact on the individual's health as well as the health of the general populace and the healthcare system. People who are homeless frequently have limited access to healthcare services and could put off getting help until their condition gets worse, necessitating more expensive and difficult medical procedures. Secondly, homelessness has a negative impact on safety, both for the homeless individual and the wider community. Homeless people are often vulnerable to physical and sexual violence and exploitation. They may also engage in criminal activity as a means of survival, which can lead to increased crime rates and decreased public safety in the surrounding areas. There are too many people in the homeless category and we need to create a solution for this as it’s very dangerous for those without a home. I think it’s crucial to solve this problem sooner than later because the future of the US could really depend on it. It scares me to see this and allows me to reflect on my personal life and see how fortunate my friends, family, and I are. It also bothers me because the people who are very wealthy that don't donate are seriously doing something wrong. 


This relates to the practice of ren from the Confucian virtue. It states that every human should be filled with kindness, goodness, and be a virtuous human. I think the people who are more wealthy and have the money to help out those in need aren’t following this and should learn to. In the long run, it’s saving our future and helps out because we can all share wealth and keep the world healthier. I know many don't practice this no days but I think it will improve our society a lot if we did. I also believe that those who are struggling and are homeless followed the way of Daoism and became one with nature to comfort their self which could benefit them in the long run of their struggle. They could use nature to their advantage with important items like food or materials to make a shelter.


Although our community invests in making more shelter for those who are in need to stay in, It cant defend all because “​​The price tag is bigger now.” Tomiquia Moss said this because it’s hard to afford house arrangements now and it is not getting better from here as there was a 33% increase in those who are in emergency shelters in the last two years. Communities around the world continue to face substantial challenges related to homelessness. The core causes of the problem, such as poverty, a lack of cheap housing, and mental health problems, continue to exist despite efforts to address the issue through numerous initiatives. Working together to provide affordable housing, help for those battling mental health and addiction disorders, and tackle the underlying socio-economic problems are all critical components of finding long-term solutions to homelessness. We can only hope to reduce homelessness and improve the lives of those it affects by banding together and committing to a comprehensive strategy.