What Makes A Good American? | Teen Ink

What Makes A Good American?

By rilynjay SILVER, Alamo, Georgia
rilynjay SILVER, Alamo, Georgia

America! Like the wings of our majestic national bird, the Bald Eagle, America is a nation of strength.  America is a beautiful blend of cultures, races, religions, and ethnicities.  It is a nation entwined with goodwill and respect. Yet, it is our citizens who make America the strongest country on the planet.  For the strength of our nation to remain, we must strive to be good Americans who are patriotic, who serve others, and who are productive and active members of society.   

Patriotism! Do you feel the breeze from Old Glory swaying in the wind? We should respect and salute our flag as a symbol of freedom and stand quietly during the national anthem. We must support and defend our country, not only in prosperous times, but when the state of our nation is bleak.  It is essential that we remain loyal to our country and have a love for it that is unstinting.  

Service!  Do you feel a calling from Uncle Sam that beckons others before self?  Serving others comes from within.  Whether military service, law enforcement, public service, or volunteer work, good Americans find ways to help others.  It is imperative that we protect our nation domestically and abroad.  This is achieved when we put our country’s needs ahead of our own.  

Action!  Do you see others participating in their community with the vigor of Lady Liberty? Good Americans participate through support, service, and action in governmental and community causes. Model citizens must be willing to speak up for what is best for our country.  We cannot be timid about standing up to those who try to destroy the spirit of our country. Yet, action also allows for thoughtful debate and healthy dialogue. Through our voices, actions, and votes, we contribute to the continuing progress of our communities and our country.   

Each day, I hear the ringing of The Liberty Bell.  The reverberation gives me a moment to look around.  I see the American flag flying, surrounded with saluting hands and eyes welled with tears.  I see selfless Americans helping others because they did not ignore a call to serve.  I see everyday people, from all walks of life, coming together to engage in their communities.  These are good Americans, upon whose backs our country was built. Because of good Americans, we can proclaim liberty throughout the land and forever remain the strongest country in the world. 

Those on the frontline are our backbone, while Americas citizen's keep our lights on!