The word of Wabbit | Teen Ink

The word of Wabbit

December 1, 2022
By Kkgri674 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Kkgri674 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

            As years go on, societal standards are changed into almost unobtainable, which is currently being proved by the teenagers in Generation Z. Certainly, it is not the best generation to exist due to the unruly standards society has created for people of all ages . Living up to having all the qualities of society deems necessary, creates these teens to feel more wabbit than ever. You may think wabbit sounds like a childish word, but it is not. It has the description that directly expresses how most teenagers are feeling after feeding into pressures of society: exhausted. 

            It’s not often one uses the word wabbit to describe how they feel because it is more common to use words such as worn out, empty, spent, or weary. In a serious situation it would be unrealistic to use such a wacky word that can be compared to the way a little kid pronounces rabbit. 

            Often, I find myself scrolling through my Tik Tok “For You” page, or Instagram feed. There’s always an excessive amount of influencers who always appear to be perfect. Not the unnatural type of perfect , but the effortless flawless look. They have symmetrical faces, small dainty noses, silky straight hair, long eyelashes, and thick eyebrows, all without effort. There has never been a bigger desire than to be just like those girls. A desire so big I put all my effort and time into the process of reaching perfection. It turned out to be unfeasible. There are not many teenagers that have realized this yet; but when they do the same thing as I did, they are on a straight road to feeling wabbit. It has become so easy to allow society's standards to destroy the teenage minds, and make them work so hard for something they will never achieve: perfection.

Another cause of this wabbit feeling is the need for approval. Quite naturally, many people, especially teenagers, seek approval from their peers. There can be a sense of security when someone knows that they are doing something that pleases others, especially when there is a lack of a relationship. Teens often want approval from their parents, in specific, the ones who have never really had that certain comfortable connection. They will go out of their way to do anything to impress them by putting impractical pressures on themselves everyday. Obtaining good grades in all honors classes, working 20-30 hours a week, and managing friendships, just to be able to tell their parents they can do it. But, can they do it, or are they overworking themselves until they eventually give up and fall apart? Even in friendships they strive to get that same approval. Going to parties, doing the most spontaneous things, or even doing things that they know aren't right. It doesn't matter how tired they are, or how they can't recognize themselves anymore, as long as they obtain the approval they have always wanted but never truly needed. That is exactly how it all turns into a wabbit feeling. Soon they realize they never needed that approval so they try to reverse all the damage already done, which is near impossible, so they work so hard on something they will never do. The wabbit feeling is back. It never left. Teens are so exhausted by the constant need of reassurance, but for some reason the feeling of getting approval is intensely addictive.   

The word wabbit should be taken more seriously. As it does sound silly, it can describe an indescribably deep feeling. A feeling that all teens experience at one point and overcome as they mature and learn from experiences.

Maybe it is not all negative to feel wabbit. After every trial with a certain error through the tunnel of feeling this way, there is always a light at the end. Yes, these teens can feel exhausted or wabbit from anything they do in daily life activities, but they end up reflecting on why they felt that way. It is assured that they will understand how to not experience the feeling by doing anything they can control. Obviously, life throws random obstacles in their way causing random outbursts of wabbit, but other than that, they now know how to control their lives for the future. How to gain enough stability to be the opposite of wabbit: content. 

The ways that feeling wabbit can change one's life is extreme. It does not just cause pain, but can also cause knowledge.  Knowledge of mental matters is extremely important in gaining control of life. Never did I say that life is easy, but the necessary maturity that results from the feeling of wabbit can change one's perspective on life itself.