On Jealousy | Teen Ink

On Jealousy

By Jocelyn Lopez BRONZE, Hawthorne, California
Jocelyn Lopez BRONZE, Hawthorne, California

On Jealousy

The red dress and candles showed all of the intentions for the evening. He kissed her passionately, only after staring into her eyes for far too long. Her long nails scratched his back as they made an awkward attempt at walking toward her bedroom. Noisy kisses accompanied by heavy breathing broke the silence in the room, lit only by dim scented candles. Blood rushed through her as she envisioned the rest of that night. He told her that he loved her and she responded the only way she knew how; telling him she loved him in return, even though there was no intention of calling him back tomorrow.

Just one house over, a woman in her twenty-somethings is baking a cake. The new ring on her finger was sparkling brighter than it had when her fiancée purchased it at an overpriced jewelry store. While she is frosting the cake, her husband to be walks in the door smelling of cologne and roses (which he is proudly displaying in his left hand). They share a sweet kiss exploding into a thousand words before either of them have a chance to speak.

The next day, the woman with the long nails and the woman in her twenty-somethings see each other at the grocery store. Each one is overwhelmed by the thoughts of the evening that had just passed them. Like those who walk into a church, they both looked at one another, each feeling sorry for the other. The woman with long nails is sympathetic towards the woman in her twenty-somethings because she only gets to experience one man. One man and no sense of carefree fun without worrying about the Mister back home. The woman in her twenty-somethings feels bad for the woman with long nails because she will never know the feeling of love. One man and the feeling of togetherness in life.

Was it pity or jealousy that motivated the silent encounter?

Down the street there is a park where children run freely while the adults talk amongst themselves and the teenagers can sneak a smoke near the trees. I have had the opportunity to observe the behavior of some of these children.

When snack time comes, each child bears a different piece of food. One an apple, one a chocolate bar, and one
some yogurt. Each child boasts about his or her snack and down talks any other. Are they certain that their snack is the best or are they trying to convince themselves that they do not want what the other child has?

Perhaps it is that one wants whatever it is that they cannot have. Like the woman in her twenty-somethings, the child with the apple pitied the child with yogurt. Yet, is it feasible that the woman in her twenty-somethings longed only for a life with more freedom, more adventure, and more excitement? Could it be that the child with the apple wanted nothing more than a cold, tasty cup of yogurt?

Jealousy, much like envy is the desire for what someone else possesses. If the exasperation in our thoughts were as loud as our actions, perhaps there would be no battle between jealousy and pity. We would say exactly what we thought, and keep from no one