Super Hero | Teen Ink

Super Hero

By -Peb! SILVER, Heber Springs, Arkansas
-Peb! SILVER, Heber Springs, Arkansas

We all wish we had super powers. The ability to fly, super strength, x-ray vision: something to put ourselves a step ahead of the world. However, no one seems to notice that there's one super power many people, especially teenagers, possess - invisibility.

You may not realize it now, but if you take the time to look around, you'll see it. They sit at the back of the class and read or sleep. The teacher calls role and they may answer two, even three times, but the teacher doesn't seem to hear. They are the kids that you don't know are in the room until they walk out with you. You know in the back of your mind that they are there, but at the same time it's like they don't exist.

How do I know all this? I'm one of the "super heroes". Although it is a gift many people covet, I would give it up in a heartbeat. If only it were that simple. Other people don't understand, saying "It's easy, all you have to do is get out there and talk." But that is not how it is. Once you let yourself sink into this "power" it is hard to get back out. It's a major accomplishment just to approach someone, and it doesn't happen often.

Some super hero, right? Going through life in silence, just another face in the crowd. I don't want to live like that. I want to be remembered after I'm gone. When people talk about me I want them to be able to say, "I knew her; she did a lot of amazing things with her life." I want to be the girl that people truly want to be around. I want to be the girl that helped feed the hungry; the girl that changed the world. I want to be a true super hero.