Highschool: A Road Only to be Traveled Once | Teen Ink

Highschool: A Road Only to be Traveled Once

By Destiny Cooper BRONZE, Culver, Indiana
Destiny Cooper BRONZE, Culver, Indiana

The road starts out rocky, as the bumpy gravel crunches beneath my feet. The trees that overlook the road leave me with only a faded glimpse of what may be ahead. Once you have begun down this road, there is no turning back. I’ve heard from others who have traveled before me. They say that eventually the bumps will fade and you will be flying down this road faster than you know. I must be careful to stay on track, because this road can only be traveled once. I may face areas of the road that are tunneled with trees, leaving me to move ahead blindly, traveling on nothing but instinct –hoping I make the right decisions. As I travel along there are road blocks and detours, but it is up to me to press past them. This is my fourth year traveling down this road, and the path has become winding and narrow. The road is nearly ending and I want desperately to slow down. There are no longer any trees to cover my path; I can now see the crossroads plain as day. I’ve come so far, and have grown attached to this road. It is overwhelming to know that it is almost over. I know that when I reach the crossroads of life I will be relieved; but for now, it is time to slow down and enjoy the scenery.