Imperfection | Teen Ink

Imperfection

May 18, 2009
By Will Edwards BRONZE, San Diego, California
Will Edwards BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“ Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it” Helen Keller

On the day of September 11th, 2001 our nation was completely devastated. I too was scared of the events taking place, and I was scared for my dad’s life. I had little understanding of what was going on. After the attacks I witnessed pain and suffering. I saw it on the news, I saw it in my mom’s eyes, and I felt it in myself. On this day, I learned more about our world than I had known in the previous 6 years of my life. At this point I believed our world was not a perfect place.


On the morning of 9/11, I came down stairs in my New Jersey home, to find my mom watching the news. The reporters on the screen said, “ There has been an attack on the south tower of The World Trade Center. We believe this is a terrorist attack.” I was worried about my mom, calling and calling. I couldn’t figure out why she was. Then I realized my dad was on a plane that morning, she tried to speak with him, but there was no answer. Then, just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, the second tower was hit. Decreasing our hope, that my dad was still alive. As I watched, I saw people running from clouds of dust and screaming on the T.V. I saw more people crying and praying than I had seen in my whole life. At the age of 6, I believed the world was perfect. I believed it would change as I did. I believed that no problems accrued in it, I was wrong.


After the tragic day of 9/11 I have learned more about our world and I have become a more grateful person. I am grateful that my dad is safe, and I am grateful for the great life that I have.


The world is not a perfect place. Yet, with imperfection I have realized change is taking place. Everyday, some people may do bad, but many people are helping to keep this planet safe, clean, and a better place for all of us to live. No, the world is not a perfect place, nor will it ever be. But, that doesn’t mean it’s a bad place to live and call home.

The author's comments:
I'm just stating what I believe and hope somebody out there agrees with me.