What Are You Really Saying? | Teen Ink

What Are You Really Saying?

By Heather Remington BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
Heather Remington BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington

“One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin or the shape of our eyes or our gender instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings.” In our everyday lives, we see and hear of things that bring us back to the reality that racism is not gone. Some may be small, some may be big, but in the end, every racial act hits the heart of those of different ethnicities the same.

Our world has begun to pull itself out of many cruel acts of racism, but although many may not speak a word of it, we all know deep inside, that racism still exists greatly. I’ve walked down the halls of my school many times, and throughout those times I have heard jokes about gender, style, or the color of ones skin. Out of those students, I know for a fact that many do not mean these things literally, they are not intending to make someone feel down, but this is not the point. It is the fact that people everywhere are saying things about races, which they do not believe are important or hurtful.

I myself did not realize how terrible and horrifying racism has been for many years, until I saw actual facts, the real evidence that proves how strong words and judgment can be. Over the last 100 years, 62 million people have died because of the difference between skin color, religion, nationalism, or beliefs. That hit me hard, to think that these 62 million people could have lived the rest of their lives, happy and unafraid if it had not been for cruel judgment and difference.

I know many people that love to joke around and have a few laughs, but when it gets to the point where discrimination has come into the conversation, it has gone too far. I do admit that I’ve said some names before like “cracker” or “mexi”, not intending to bring in racism, but I’ve realized how rude it really is. Using names isn’t okay even if all of your friends do it or if it’s the “cool thing to do”, because it’s really not. Have you ever thought about how other people feel when you call people names like these?

When you look back in history, you can see the vast amount of tragic events that have happened because of the difference between one person and another. The Holocaust is one of the most horrifying examples that happened because of discrimination. Hitler wanted a perfect society of Arian people and would do anything to create it. He was responsible for the deaths of almost 6 million Jewish people and permanent damage to those who survived. My teacher once said that if we do not learn about history, then we are doomed to repeat it. Although we aren’t literally repeating things such as slavery or the Holocaust, we still have not gotten rid of the things that caused them. If people across the globe are still treating others unequally, then we may end up repeating history once again.

If all people were able to set their differences aside, our world may be entirely different then we know it. Would we still have the wars we do today? Would there be such a thing as discrimination? Rather than passing judgment on someone, stop yourself and realize what it would be like to walk a mile in their shoes. I believe the key to ending racism is showing compassion, love and kindness. Love truly does conquer all, which means that if you have enough love to care for all, you will be free of discrimination.

on Jun. 2 2009 at 12:42 am
Shane Miller BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
good point