Torture | Teen Ink

Torture

May 14, 2009
By Emma Jerzyk BRONZE, Mission Hills, Kansas
Emma Jerzyk BRONZE, Mission Hills, Kansas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Torture is any act that intentionally inflicts severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental. But, if the opposite side is torturing, then is it right to torture? Or should we try to take the high road while our troops are being tortured? The Bush administration made a clandestine memorandum on the subject that provided trenchant approval to barrage terrorists or alleged terrorists with painful physical and psychological tactics, not excluding water boarding (simulating drowning) and frigid temperatures. Is it right to torture those who tried to torture us at one time also?

First of all, torture, yes, is painful physically and psychologically, but does it amount as the same amount of pain that the U.S. experienced during 9/11? How are we going to get information from the alleged or convicted terrorists? How is any of this possible without torture? Yes, it could be called a violation of human rights, but don’t we have that right? If they committed terrorism against the U.S. don’t they deserve to be tortured?

On the other hand, even though they committed an act of terrorism, don’t they deserve the same rights that any other person who commits a crime does? Don’t they deserve to have a lawyer, and hold a case, instead of just being tortured for information that they may or may not have? It is a violation of human rights, the rights that this very country was based off. Yes they are probably committing similar acts to our own troops, but, think about it. What does this say about the U.S.? It says that we take the easy way out, and we don’t care if we have to be sleazy about it. Whereas, if we decide not to torture, then what does that say about the U.S.? It says that, yes, it may be difficult, but that’s OK. It’s OK if our jobs are just a little bit harder, but how could we talk to the future generation and hold them to a higher moral standard if we do this? It is the classic ethical dilemma, do I do something that might not be completely moral, but is easy, or do I take the high road that may not be so easy, but definitely more ethical? I will tell you the answer to that question, the best way to do it is to take the high road, even if it is more difficult.

Although all of these points are valid, and reasonable, you have to make the decision for yourself. Do we do something that is easy, and that, the committed terrorists just might deserve, or do something that is more ethical, but definitely a lot more difficult. The choice is up to you.

The author's comments:
Bibliography:
"Torture - News - - The New York Times." Times Topics. 14 May 2009 .