The Emmy Goes to... Federal Employees | Teen Ink

The Emmy Goes to... Federal Employees

Federal Employees have built bridges and roads, walked on the moon, developed vaccines, saved lives, and made many other contributions to our country so why do they not get recognized by for their daily work? Movie stars, athletes, and supermodels receive more recognition for their particular job than federal employees receive for an entire twenty five years of service to their country. Actors pretend to walk on the moon or save a community from devastation and get paid millions of dollars and receive dozens of awards for their performance; however, federal employees who actually work to send someone to the moon, build levees to protect an entire community from devastation, or create a vaccine to cure a virus do not get paid millions of dollars and most people are not aware of their accomplishments and contributions to our country. So why do we not hold federal employee awards like we do awards ceremonies such as the Emmy’s, Golden Globe Awards, Country Music Awards, and Oscar’s? Maybe there are not Federal Employee Awards simply because federal employees would rather have the people in their community, family, and friends appreciate their work.
Mark Twain said, “It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.” Most federal employees do not receive recognition or appreciation for their work. My father is a federal employee at the Army Corp of Engineers in New Orleans, Louisiana and I have seen firsthand how little appreciation he receives from his community. In August 2005, Hurricane Katrina devastated the New Orleans area as well as many other parishes and counties in the Gulf Coast. Many people blamed the Army Corp of Engineers for the six feet of water in their homes. Like so many others who live along the Gulf Coast my family was also affected by Hurricane Katrina. My father, uncle, and sister are all federal employees at the Army Corp of Engineers and have not been recognized for their efforts after the hurricane.
After Hurricane Katrina my father was one of the first respondents and has become a highly respected employee because of his dedication to his job and community. Although my father may not get the recognition he deserves, I am still proud of the hard work he has contributed to the recovery of his hometown, New Orleans. Federal employees might not receive awards, plaques, pins, or trophies but there is no doubt in my mind that it would mean more to them to receive gratitude and thanks for their perseverance and accomplishments from their surrounding community and friends.
As a federal employee, my father has taught me a lot about dedication, hard work, and loyalty. My father does not have medals or awards to reassure him that he has been an asset to society; however, he keeps working his best. After Hurricane Katrina, my dad had his own problems to take care of such as finding his family a home, but he kept working. Throughout his career, there may have been multiple times where giving up or slacking off seemed like the most convenient solution, but he never gave up. My dad is my hero. As graduation draws near, I hope to follow in my father’s footsteps and contribute to my community as much as he has. My father supports me in whatever I choose to do in life and will help me achieve my goals in any way he can. Although my dad is not famous or hounded by millions of people waiting to ask for his autograph, I am proud of him. Federal employees contribute to their community in more ways than one, and it is the community’s responsibility to show their appreciation. A simple sign of gratitude such as a “Thank you” might be just what some federal employees need to feel appreciated. So maybe the government could make some to do a little extra for these certain individuals who contribute so much hard work and dedication to our country and their job.