A True Friend | Teen Ink

A True Friend

By Madie Waldvogel BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
Madie Waldvogel BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan

"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." This anonymous quote seems to say it all. When you are having just a plain bad day and need to talk to someone who do you turn to? Mom, dad, sibling, grandparent? I go straight to my best friends knowing that they will understand what I mean even if it’s the craziest thing that they have ever heard. When I think of friends one sticks out from all the rest; Stephanie L, my best friend.

Things didn’t start off with a boom for us. We both wanted to be best friends with the same person. So in a way we didn’t like each other because I wanted to be the other girl’s new bff and Stephanie wanted that girl to stay as her bff. Steph and I didn’t hang out or really talk until one day all three of us decided to hang out. We started talking, and I guess you could say we just hit it off. Stephanie and I had so much in common; both blonde, loud, love to play sports, hang with friends, and last but not least very clumsy. Now you don’t see me and Stephanie apart from each other. It seems like the movie “Parent Trap,” the 2009 version. We are always together, like sisters.

A time that really sticks out to me happened not to long ago. Sixth grade to be exact. One of my other friends was going through something, and she was just being really mean to me. She was starting to make new friends, and Steph and I didn’t get along with them very well. Then something happened, and a group of 5 girls were teaming up against me and making me feel awful. I went straight to Steph. She was there and helped me through that, listening to me, crying with me, and trying to make me feel better. Stephanie was there, and I never doubted it.

“A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart.” ~Author Unknown. Steph does reach my heart and always will. I realized that Steph meant a lot to me. She’s been my friend for not even a year, and yet she is my closest friend I have. If I know one thing it’s that Stephanie will always be there for me through thick and thin. She matters so much to me, and I never want her to change. Everybody deserves a friend like Stephanie. That is one thing that matter the most.

katie fridsma BRONZE, Belmont, Michigan
maddie that is really cool to have such great friends. I know that cuz u have always been there for me! thanks again for all you do! luv ya!