Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By softballplayer2 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
softballplayer2 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

First off, I would like to sincerely thank you for your service to our country and all you had to sacrifice. You and your fellow veterans represent all that is good in America. Your selfless acts, bravery, and dedication have shown me how much of an impact one person can have on the world. I hope that you have been acknowledged already because of how brave you are. It takes a real man or woman to leave all that you know and fly overseas to fight in a country that you don’t know. It brings me a tremendous amount of happiness to be able to write you a letter thanking you for your selfless service.

As most of the people in my class are sixteen or seventeen years old, I could never imagine going to war in a couple of years like you did. The amount of courage it must have taken you to fight for your  country is unimaginable. I know it must have been extremely difficult for you to give up going to school, your friends, and your family. I also know how scary it must have been walking into a situation that you knew little about, most likely you didn’t even know where you were flying to. The amount of respect and appreciation I have for you is tremendous, so thank you, for standing up and representing for our country.

One thing that I would like to share with you is my experience welcoming my grandfather home from the Honor Flight a couple of years ago. My grandfather fought in the Korean War and I am so very thankful for his service. He told me the Honor Flight was one of the best experiences of his life and that he was so grateful to be able to do it.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Washington D.C. and that you get the recognition and honor that you deserve. Once again, I would like to sincerely thank you for your selfless actions and your service fighting for our country.

I would love to hear more about your story if you get a chance to write back.