The Affect of Social Media on Teens | Teen Ink

The Affect of Social Media on Teens

December 10, 2018
By Gredel_ikonomi SILVER, Tirana, Other
Gredel_ikonomi SILVER, Tirana, Other
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Social media… It is a huge platform with a huge amount of subscribers: grown-ups, teens, children. It is a perfect way to share what you are doing and how your life is going, and a great way to connect with relatives or friends that don’t live near you, or that you haven’t seen in years.
 

 But social media is not always what you expect it to be. The influence of it on teens is a big problem nowadays, and not only because they are the future and shouldn’t spend most time on this platform, but also because they are the heaviest users of social media. You can see them; the first thing they do when they wake up in the morning: check Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook and a lot of others that we don’t even know about. Then, they go to school distract themselves and others, because they use it during class. And when they come home, lay in bed with their phone and stay about two hours there. We cannot let this go this easy, because it is making teens obsessed and making them lazier everyday. But why does this happen? Why is social media so addicting?
   

The main reason why teens are so addicted with social media are the likes that they receive. The effect of social media in teens may risk the increase of depression and anxiety. Because "likes" are so important to them; rewarding a lot of likes creates a good feeling of excitement and happiness in them, and not receiving a lot causes them negative energy and asking themselves questions like “why” and “how”. It may look like an unimportant thing to worry about, but the way they think like they don’t fit in this community, really changes and upsets them.
   

There is a strong reason why not to worry. Social media is not real life, and what happens there is not going to change the reality of people. Even though we like sharing pictures of ourselves and other things, we should know that some of those pictures sometimes are taken from internet or may be edited so it can look good. We cannot trust everything we see and most importantly get affected by it. We cannot see what the others don’t want us to see. When we go somewhere, we make someone take a hundred pictures of us, yell and put a lot of pressure on them to take the perfect picture of us. Instead of enjoying and appreciating the time we are there, we spend all the time taking pictures, only to show it to the others. You may also see people with very good photos, but right now they are laying in bed, scrolling through social media, just like you. We are all doing the same thing, and you are not the only one.
   

Anyone of us can have a celebrity or famous person they like, and are happy to see how their life is going. There are people who keep track of their favorite celebrities by creating fan pages, but they must be notified at any time if something happens or where are they now or what are they doing. It is fun to have a blog, a fan page, and we have to be active there, but not all the time. You can love a celebrity and they can be your idol, but you can’t waste all your time in them, because that doesn’t make you more like them. When they were our age, they were passionate teens and put a lot of effort to what they wanted to do at such a young age. That is the example that we should get from them.
   

Social Media it’s not a bad thing if we know the proper way to use it. It is easier if we really don’t get influenced by things that happen there. We should know that it is not real life, and to spend our time in things with importance like our future and not in things that are not even real. We are allowed to use it, but with a limited time, so we can know when the time is appropriate and when it is not. This will make us better at using Instagram, Snapchat and better people.