Why Gay Adoption Is Necessary | Teen Ink

Why Gay Adoption Is Necessary

June 27, 2017
By samd730 BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
samd730 BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is like a roller coaster, live it, be happy, enjoy life. - Avril Lavigne


For many decades, discrimination has been a prevalent issue among nations around the world. Specifically, issues such as racism and sexism have impacted thousands of lives, and they are still around today. The term, discrimination, applies to all unjust or prejudicial acts towards others, including situations involving a person’s sexual preference. Similarly, a recent controversy involving blatant discrimination amongst gays and lesbians is that states are banning this group from adopting children. Evidently, there are many different reasons as to why this particular topic is an issue, ranging from the alleged harmful psychological effects on a child with homosexual parents to the parents’ lack of ability to provide sufficiently for their child. Despite these fallacious beliefs and because of the numerous benefits involved and lack of statistical evidence from the opposing side, gays and lesbians should be allowed to adopt children.


To begin, gays and lesbians should be allowed to adopt children because there are far too many children in the world without homes. According to studies, “LGBT [Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender] adolescents make up as much as 40 percent of homeless youth” (Davis 2). Therefore, if gays and lesbians are allowed to adopt children, then the amount of homeless adolescents would decrease, because of how eager and accepting LGBT parents are of their children. Similarly, LGBT parents are more likely to adopt children than heterosexual parents: “‘It seems as though same-sex couples are a population that are already more likely to parent through these mechanisms,’ Flores said. ‘So it is quite important to reach out to members of this group to raise children who otherwise might not have placement’” (Davis 2). As seen in the quote, if gays and lesbians were allowed to adopt children, then there will be a tremendous decrease in the number of children currently in foster care. Moreover, as previously stated, there is an outrageous amount of children in the United States foster care system. An increase in the number of adoptions is essential to reduce that number (Davis 2). Clearly, there is more help needed in order to lower the amount of children in foster care, which includes the ability for gays and lesbians to adopt children. As seen through the quotes, it is essential for gays and lesbians to be allowed to adopt children because it will lower the amount of homeless LGBT youth and children that do not have homes.


In summation, gays and lesbians should be allowed to adopt children because of the superfluous amount of children in foster care, the numerous developmental benefits to a child with gay parents, and the fact that the opposing side is based off of discriminatory statements with no statistical basis. Therefore, states precluding gays and lesbians from adopting children is completely inane. With less kids in foster care and same-sex parents finally being allowed to adopt children, the world would be a much happier place with less discrimination and more joy.


The author's comments:

I wrote this paper for my 8th grade research paper project, and I was inspired to write about this topic because of how prevalent it is in our society.