Cultural Appropriation | Teen Ink

Cultural Appropriation

April 20, 2017
By Anonymous

Imagine writing one of the best papers of your life and receiving an F. Your neighbor looks at your paper because they have a similar topic. They change the topic sentence and turn in the exact same paper; they receive an A. That is how cultural appropriation works. Trying to appropriate another’s culture is never a good idea when it is insulting, even if there is no mal-intent. Many cultures originate from some type of appropriation  or “borrowing” culture. For example, the writers of the Constitution borrowed their ideas from the thinkers of the Enlightenment. There is nothing wrong with “borrowing” from another culture as long as we are not inherently insulting that entire culture in the process (“Cultural… ”). Albeit there are alway people who are sensitive on certain topics concerned with their culture, but they should not be insulted by people who misrepresent their culture. Because cultural appropriation has been used throughout history, and can be used to expand cultures, cultural appropriation should not always be seen as an evil occurrence.


We can not continue as a country to say we are united and constantly divide ourselves because of our differences. Expanding our knowledge and awareness of other cultures can help unite the people here. Our country constantly goes through turmoil, usually self-inflicted. We unconsciously, and sometimes consciously, divide and combine ourselves based on our similarities and differences. Usually we do that because we are more comfortable in our own shell, but other times we do that subconsciously because we are comparing ourselves to people who are not exactly like us. If we expanded our knowledge of other cultures rather than living in shallow little glass bubbles, there would not always be such a divide between different cultures. Over the past years controversy has arisen from white filmmakers directing films based on black characters. Critics said that it was inaccurate and accused studios of wanting movies to be black based, but not fully. In order for the films not to be considered racially offensive or inaccurate it takes collaboration from everyone and not just mainly white or black writers (Hornaday). The term “cultural appropriation” is mainly used to put down people who have taken away from other cultures and either mock or belittle that culture in the process. However, many people fear that the fear of appropriating one’s culture can hinder so many other creative processes. For example, Lionel Shriver, an American writer, recently spoke on this topic saying, “the kind of fiction we are ‘allowed’ to write is in danger of becoming so hedges, so circumscribed, so tippy-toe, that we’d indeed be better off not writing the anodyne drivel to begin with” (Cultural). Over time cultural appropriation becomes more and more complex because of the judgement and diversion we constantly create between cultures. If there was more of a general knowledge and respect for one another, then cultural appropriation would not have to be an issue.


Who better to get great political ideas from than the Enlightened thinkers? The Founding Fathers thought the same thing. These men appropriated many of the styles and cultures from European government and culture to form their own similar, but different, style of culture and government. Honestly, it is pretty hard for culture to be “borrowed” without seeming offensive or ignorant of what is going on. Borrowing ideas can be controversial especially if those ideas are twisted to fit the needs of those using it. Without taking ideas from other cultures, “in the globalized world we occupy, we can and should expect all sorts of fascinating acts of appropriation that open up new veins of thought and feeling” (Cultural). Although it can be considered appropriate to use someone else’s culture to create your own and form your own ideas, it is still never okay to insult someone. Many times people of all ages need to be taught how to correctly be sensitive and empathetic to the plights and cultures of others (Cultural). Overall, borrowing ideas and other non-offensive topics from cultures are not considered appropriating someone’s culture as long as the culture is not being insulted or degraded.


  Yes cultural appropriation can be viewed as a negative and insulting thing when used in the wrong way, but if people are not abusing or insulting that culture, the appropriation should not be harmful. Some people would see only negatives as cultural appropriation and use examples such as Donald Trump mocking a reporter with disabilities. By Trump mocking that reporter, he possibly marginalized an entire group of disabled people, which is how people feel when their culture is mocked or ridiculed. No, this is not the same scenario, but it generates the same effect on groups of people (Cultural). Anyone not considered in the “norm” of society, “should not be even further denigrated by crude behavior and stupid insults” (Cultural). Many people believe that cultural appropriation will always be an offensive occurrence because someone’s culture is being taken away from them and twisted into a different form. In fact, their ideas are normally just being reused and often times are accidentally misinterpreted or misunderstood by others. There is never a mal-intent for the most part, but many people do not fully think everything through. Cultural appropriation can definitely be viewed as something harmful and negative, but when the intent is in the right place and corrections can be made then it should not be as harmful.


Cultural appropriation should not be seen as an evil occurrence because it has been used throughout history and can be used to expand cultures. Throughout history many different cultures have used a form of cultural appropriation to create their own ideas or cultures, and it is what many cultures have actually been founded on. Cultures have also expanded on their culture and learned from other cultures; multiple cultures have used one culture as a basis for their own and expand their knowledge of others. An opposing view of many people is that cultural appropriation is inherently and always wrong and unjustifiable. They see cultural appropriation as something that is constantly offensive to everyone involved. A medium view in all aspects, and not just media sources, is a main factor of having a culture that maximizes freedom of speech but does not take away the rights of people and marginalized people than society already does.

 

 

Works Cited
"Cultural appropriation: Testing the limits of free speech." CNN Wire, 18 Sept. 2016. Opposing
Viewpoints in Context. Accessed 3 Feb. 2017.
Hornaday, Ann. "White filmmakers, black characters and the fear of cultural appropriation."
Washington Post, 11 Nov. 2016. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Accessed 3 Feb. 2017.