Are the Justice and Education System Biased Against Minorities? | Teen Ink

Are the Justice and Education System Biased Against Minorities?

By Jomaya2003 BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey
Jomaya2003 BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey

The Declaration of Independence states that all men and women are created equally and everything is supposed to be fair for everyone. The question is, how true is this really? Is everything the same for everyone? Law Enforcement, the Education institution and the Judicial system all have a common theme. These systems treat minorities differently than the race that dominates more than half of the population in the United States, White people. These institutions are supposed to extend the same rights to every race, gender and religion. Sometimes you race determines on how you get treated by other people. Law enforcement, the Education system, and the Judicial institution are unjust to the minorities of the United States of America.

For example, School is a place where everything is suppose to be fair. Every student is taught to be fair to their peers. Some schools treat students differently depending on their race. For instance, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and other organizations filed a complaint against the South Orange Maplewood School District. ACLU asked for an investigation because the school “disproportionately confining students of color to lower-level classes and punish students of color and students with disabilities to a greater degree.” This means that students of color are restricted to a non-challenging curriculum with little to no chance of advancing. Additionally, there isn’t a proportionate amount of students of color in high honors and advance placement classes. The school is “breaking the law by not supporting kids of color with “disabilities”. There is a high rate of  28% of African American students with “disabilities” that get suspended. 11.9% of African Americans without disabilities are suspended and 2.5% of White kids with disabilities get suspended. This is an injustice towards minorities because schools are inadequately preparing them for college compared to their White peers.

Additionally, Law enforcement is suppose to protect and serve citizens of the United States. It is their job to make sure everyone is safe. It is not their job to be the judge and the jury and decide the fate of a citizen. Police Brutality has been around for a long time but it is now become a very hot topic in the media. Corrupt police have been targeting the same groups of people for hundreds of years, minorities. People think that by adding more mixed raced cops there with be less deaths but that is not the case. There are African American and Latino cops that kill minorities to prove themselves to their colleagues. For example, Black and White officers were involved with the killing of an African American man named Freddie Grey in Baltimore. This shows that the institution is laced with racism and bias. Certain people may argue that more White people have been killed than Black people and that is true. However White people roughly make up 62% of the United States and Black people make up only 13%. What people over look is the proportion of the races that make up the American population. According to the Chicago Tribune (Jan 1st 2015 - July 2016). “...United States police officers have shot and killed the exact same number of unarmed White people as they have unarmed Black people: 50 each. But because the White population is approximately five times as great as the Black population, that means unarmed Black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed White Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer.”

However when someone is charged with a crime they have to go through the Judicial institution to learn what their fate is. The Judicial system is supposed to be fair like every other institution in the United states, but that is not always the case. The Judicial system is unfair to minorities. There have been several cases where police officers who murder unarmed innocent Black men and women do not get charged or indicted for the crimes they have committed. For example, Tamir Rice was an unarmed, African American, twelve year old boy who was shot and killed by a White officer who didn’t get indicted. According to the Huffington Post “...It remains rare for officers to face charges over shooting deaths.” Also the Judicial System is biased against minorities when it comes to unfair sentencing. Minorities guilty of the same crime as a White person face longer sentences or hasher rulings. According to the Center for American Progress “....between 2007 and 2011, sentences for Black males were 19.5 percent longer than those for whites. Furthermore, Black men were 25 percent less likely to receive sentences below the sentencing guidelines...”

In conclusion, American institutions maintain a two tiered system- one for the majority and the other for the minority. Inequality in education leads to fewer job opportunities and fewer chances for advancement. Fewer job opportunities can lead to problems involving law enforcement. Unfair treatment from law enforcement will eventually lead to judicial supervision which in many cases will involve unfair or biased sentencing. This needs to change and justice needs to be spread across the nation.

Works Cited:
@ACLU. "Groups File Civil Rights Complaint Challenging
Tracking and Discipline Practices in South Orange-Maplewood School District." American Civil Liberties Union. N.p., 10 Oct. 2014. Web. 22 Dec. 2016.

Bandler, Aaron. "5 Statistics You Need To Know About Cops Killing Blacks." Daily Wire.
Aaron Bandler, 07 July 2016. Web. 20 Dec. 2016.

Calacal, Celisa. "This Is How Many People Police Have Killed so Far in 2016."
ThinkProgress. N.p., 14 Dec. 2016. Web. 20 Dec. 2016.

"CNN's 'Defining America' Takes a Personal Look at Census Data." CNN.
Cable News Network, n.d. Web. 20 Dec. 2016.

Hagler, Jamal. "8 Facts You Should Know About the Criminal Justice System and People of
Color." Center for American Progress. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Dec. 2016.

Lowery, Wesley. "More Whites Killed by Police, but Blacks 2.5 times
More Likely to Be Killed." Chicagotribune. N.p., 12 July 2016. Web. 22 Dec. 2016.

Williams, Janice. "Police Shooting Statistics 2016: Are More Black People Killed By Officers   Than Other Races?" International Business Times. Janice Williams, 26 Sept. 2016.
Web. 20 Dec. 2016.

I wrote this essay beacuse i have a burning passion for racial injustices. My teacher and my father pushed me to write this essay. I think it's important that kids my age read about my topic because nobody hardly ever talks about how the whole United States system is crooked.