Thomas the Turtle | Teen Ink

Thomas the Turtle

By AudreyAtkinson BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
AudreyAtkinson BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado

Audrey Atkinson
10/25/16
Pd. 3

There was a hidden tale that said turtles had emotions and beliefs. This particular example, is a modern day tale about Thomas the turtle. He knew he was different he just didn’t know what it was about him. One day when Thomas was about to get in the shower he stretched and looked in the mirror to find out what the different thing about him is. It was rainbow stripes. He scrunched down automatically and kept it hidden. After the shower Thomas got dressed in black slacks and a black button up shirt. He was going to work at his job Stardust (coffee shop).

He showed up to work fully aware and self conscious about his colors. He knew nobody else had the same thing as him. He wondered what they were all day at work, he couldn't figure it out. Then came in the new worker. His name Tanner. Tanner started with the basics. He was restocking, helping with the easy coffee, and cleaning. Thomas felt something special about Tanner he knew something was different about him as well.

A week passed and Thomas was still thinking about Tanner.He just couldn’t put his finger on it. Nobody could have the same colors as me he thought. They worked again that day. Thomas was fully aware of that and took a little bit longer time in  the bathroom for Tanner. He sprayed cologne and slicked back his hair.

It was time for work Tanner and Thomas show up at the same time and bump into each other. They awkwardly laugh and both try again at the same time. They bump hands and Thomas feels like it was a magic touch. Thomas keeps his hands on the door, opens it for Tanner, giggles and says “you first”. The whole day Tanner was being flirty with Thomas. Thomas didn’t know what to do or even if he liked guy turtles. By the end of the shift Tanner goes up to Thomas and says “drinks tonight?”. “Of course” Thomas replies.

It was later that night and Thomas shows up to Tanner's house. Thomas thought they would be going out to drink but Tanner already bought a bottle of wine and started the fire place. “Perfect!” thomas said. They sit around a fire place and have a glass of wine. As they start to get to know each other Thomas realizes what his colors stood for. He had a crush on Tanner.

After a couple of glasses Thomas and Tanner start feeling a little buzzed. Tanner starts talking about his life and everything that’s happened, and then he show Thomas something. He had the colorful stripes on his neck too. Thomas was amazed. He knew exactly what this meant. Thomas shows Tanner his stripes and tells him what he think it means. “I always thought I was gay.” Tanner said. “It’s meant to be, we should come out of the shell and start showing our true colors.” Thomas replied. Tanner didn’t reply so Thomas walked out the door ashamed.
That night Thomas get a text from Tanner. It said

“I really wanna try this thing out, I don’t care about the haters, It’s time to show our true colors…. I’m sorry.”
Thomas replied
“I really want to try this out too, let’s show our true colors tomorrow at work.”
Tanner sent
“That would be perfect.”
It was the next day at work and Thomas and Tanner both show up at the same time. They are both fully stretched out showing their true colors. They got weird looks but they didn’t care what the other turtles think. They had a whole day at work with no problems and they realized that they were the turtles for each other. When they were cleaning and closing up the shop Thomas turns to Tanner and says “ I know this is knew but I’m really glad we came out of our shells, you make me so happy Tanner.” Tanner replies “Me too, I’m very glad that I met you.” The two turtles end up getting married and loving each other for the rest of their lives.