Rejection Equals Racism | Teen Ink

Rejection Equals Racism

October 31, 2016
By Johnpd BRONZE, Bronx, New York
Johnpd BRONZE, Bronx, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 “We are five and don’t want to be six”. This is a quote that is from the short story, “Fellowship”, written by Franz Kafka. This statement shows the avoidance of individuals from the community.


New people trying to join the community will sometimes get rejected from joining so they can be part of communities based on the failure to meet the communities’ criteria of membership. So, all communities should accept all people from all walks of life.


Many people are outcasted or neglected based on their race , culture, lifestyles, experiences, core values and beliefs. The most evident area of discretion which leads to the refusion of new members is by their race and culture mainly based on stereotypes.


In the short story by Franz Kafka, “ Fellowship”, the group of five friends avoided and rejected the to be friend from being the sixth friend. This was because they did not want to replicate the experiences that the five went through already and they did not even try to get to know the person or their intentions.


This story goes with the real world issue of racism in this nation mainly between the white people and the African Americans. Groups of people or communities of one ethnic background have a distrust, dislike, or ethnic superiority complex over other groups due to their  negative historical interactions. This is the definition of racism which causes conflicts between two or more ethnic groups.


For example, the incident that happened on August, 9 2014. The incident was a shooting that happened in Ferguson, Missouri. This shooting was no ordinary one, but this was bigger than what it seems look like. The Ferguson shooting was the battle of racism between the whites and the blacks. This is because the police officer (Darren Wilson) who was white shot a black man (Michael Brown) who was not in a terms of bad intentions to harm the police officer resulted in death.” Nobody’s trying to kill you, Deirdre. You’re killing yourself.” by Augusten Burroughs. This quote shows the distrust between the officer and the black man.


This incident connects to the claim because racism causes conflict. This is because there is distrust and ignorance between the communities. If we put put our differences and accept each other then there would more peace.
We as individuals who are mostly likely to be part of a community should learn to accept all differences of people and to also to learn to deal with them with respect. In the end of the day, we are all human beings and we should respect each other no matter what their background is. Therefore, there will be more peace in the world.