Perception is Key | Teen Ink

Perception is Key

October 13, 2016
By Anonymous

Growing up in a strict Caribbean household, respect of one’s self and one’s character or name was deemed as our core values. I was always taught that character and the way I carry myself will be the key to my success in where I want to go in life,after all in the end all we have is our name. For me the stakes are high. Being apart of the minority group, I have to make sure that everything I do comes out to nothing less than perfection. But in order to reach perfection you have to endure a bunch of twists and turns. For me I never thought I too would be faced with a situation that called my character into question. Perception is everything, treat those the way you want to be treated and you will get the same in return.


Five years ago I had my first encounter with racism. I remember that day as being a Saturday and I along with my two closest friends at the time went out to celebrate one of my friends birthday at the mall. It was by far the most fun I’ve had that year. We went shopping, we tried on dresses and we even made Build-A-Bears, which I still have to this day. On our final stop before we left we went into a store that we have never shopped at before. Everything seemed to be fine until we made it to the checkout line. On display was a new glow in the dark nail polish that was trending that year. Completely infatuated I picked it up and instantly knew that I must have it. Everything about it screamed me. From its bright blue color to the little bits of sparkle throughout I was adamant that I was going to buy it. Shortly after coming down from the clouds I realized the price and knew that I nor my friends had enough cash to pay for it.


Heartbroken and disappointed I put the nail polish back and proceeded to pay for my other items. Finished with our purchases and now heading for the door a store employee proceeded to follow us out. I thought nothing of it and just kept on walking. Once we’ve reached the door however the once smiling and trusted employee seemed to change. She had purposefully set off the alarm and called for management. I was shocked and could not believe what was happening. I knew I had payed for all my stuff and so had my friends. Nothing had an emergency tag and nothing has been misplaced. Nothing was adding up until the manager had come over to asses the situation. The employee had told her manager that she saw us pocket the nail polish I was looking at, at the register. She proceeded to say “you should check their bags to make sure they don’t have anything.” I could not believe what I was hearing. The mear fact that anyone would go through such great lengths to accuse thirteen year old girls of stealing is baffling. So the manager checked our store bags, our personal purses and the Build-A-Bear boxes we carried. After coming up with nothing. They had no choice but to let us go. Speechless, dazed and confused I began to question my character and what I may have done to have deserved such treatment. I expected to see the values instilled in me from young, that If you want respect, you have to give it first. Sadly enough this what not the case. Now, some may have taken the opportunity to turn this experience into a built up hatred. I on the other hand have chosen to take this experience and run with it.


The author's comments:

This is a high school student that enjoys drawing and anything art based.