The N Word | Teen Ink

The N Word

June 17, 2016
By Anonymous

The other day on whisper (an app) I got into a fight with a racist guy. Who told me that "you blacks need to leave MY country". I then calmly told him


a) you brought us here
And
b) if this land belongs to anyone it's the Native Americans

 

This conversation got me thinking about all the racist people in America. Which is why I think I tend to shy away from white people. They scare me. Honestly, had I grown up in the ghetto with my mother I don't think I would have any white friends. I'm always afraid that my friends are subconsciously racist. Which brings me to my next topic of discussion.

 

One word. Six letters. N*****. The "N" word. This one word has caused so much trouble and it causes me mixed emotions. I have two cousins (both are mixed) , let's call them cousin X and cousin Y. My cousin Y uses the "n" word all the time, it's part of his daily vernacular. While Cousin X, who curses like a sailor, refuses to use it or have other people use it. She can't stand the word. I suppose it's really a personal preference.


I have some white friends that say the n-word and it doesn't bother me. Entirely. Allow me to explain. It only bothers me because I don't use the "N" word. Hell I can barely write it, ask me to say it out loud? Forget it. The only time I've ever said it was when I was rapping. The "N" word was a word created by slave masters the means ignorant and was used *exclusively* to describe black people. I feel like I have not earned the right to use it. I have not went through the full black struggle therefore I don't deserve to use it. Which is why when white people say it I get a little bit upset. Do they not feel as guilty as me? Do they not understand that this word has to be earned, and that it can only be earned by going through the African American struggle. That this word is a way for the African Americans to take back the power their ancestors stole. White people have their power. Let them have theirs.


The author's comments:

I wrote this article after a racial battle. I hope some people can learn and I hope some people can relate.