Take a Stand for Gay Adoption! | Teen Ink

Take a Stand for Gay Adoption!

By Jcyenzer20 BRONZE, Denville, New Jersey
Jcyenzer20 BRONZE, Denville, New Jersey

Family. A family is any group of people whom are related either biologically, emotionally, or legally (McDaniel 2).  However, this was not always what individuals thought to be true. In recent years, the perception of the significant term, family, has been altered drastically. In fact, “Society’s definition of a family has expanded to include ‘single parents, biracial couples, blended families, unrelated individuals living cooperatively, and homosexual couples, among others’” (Crawford 571). Each being has a unique interpretation of what they believe to be a family. Americans have come along way, growing in acceptance towards ideas that may be different than their own relating to family. With the power of gay adoption, children are provided with the love and care that comes with a family, regardless of the child's adoptive parents sexual preference. Due to this, gay adoption should be accepted state-wide. Yet, in the 21st century gay adoption still is not welcomed entirely throughout the nation. People of any sexual orientation should be able to adopt regardless of how they identify because children everywhere are in need of a permanent home and family structure.

Adoption is such an extraordinary privilege. Through the power of adoption, children who do not have stable home environments are provided with a family who is eager to take them into their homes to love and care for them.  Nonetheless, there are still an immense amount of minors waiting to be adopted. To specify, the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute found, “In the U.S. 397,122 children are living without permanent families in the foster care system” (¨Facts”). With such a significant number of minors in need of a home, gay adoption should be condoned everywhere in the United States. Giving people belonging to the LGBT community the opportunity to adopt would decrease the amount of children in need of homes.

Furthermore, the Child Welfare League of America is urging courts to take an important case in Florida regarding lifting the ban on gay adoption. They argue, “...the state’s policy conflicts with the best interest of thousands of children who are awaiting permanent homes” (Biskupic 1). The state of Florida is intertwining personal beliefs with the best interests of children which is neither fair nor professional. The bottom line is many children are desperately are in need of homes with loving and caring families.

Opponents who challenge the legality of gay adoption explicitly argue that, “Children need and deserve to be raised by both a mother and a father who are married to each other” (Fischer). However, it has been proven that individuals belonging to the LGBT community are just a capable of being parents as a family including a mother and father. In fact, there have been numerous studies supporting this claim. To clarify, Australia’s University of Melbourne conducted a study which found, “...that the children of homosexual parents are no worse off than the children of heterosexual parents in terms of their emotional and physical health, and in some cases are even ‘happy and healthier’ than their peers” (Corregan 1). The University’s study proves that same-sex partners are fit to raise children that are not warped later in life (Corregan 1). Continuously, the studies have been expanded, looking into why same-sex couples in some cases raise ‘happy and healthier’ children. Corregan specifies, “Researchers posited that the disparity is caused by the fact that gay couples create partnerships and households built on equality - specifically, gender equality. Gay couples are often more equitable when it comes to things like child-rearing, household chores and overall relationship maintenance…”  (1). These shared responsibilities are found to have positive outcomes when children are raised in same-sex environments (Corregan 1). As a matter of fact, Kirk Musselman and his partner Willie Hawkins are a gay couple who raised a young boy, Logan, since his day of birth. Finally, two years ago they were legally allowed to adopt him. Logan is walking proof that same-sex couples are capable of being successful parents, “...the boy is now a straight-A student who enjoys soccer and has friends galore” (Ritchie 2). Individuals who rebuff gay adoption claim that in order to have a positive upbringing you must have a mother and father. Yet, their fallacious allegations are continually proved wrong. Logan was raised by two gay men and is doing exceedingly well in life. Gay couples are not just capable of being parents, they are capable of exceeding standards of parenting.

America was established with the means of equality for all. As a matter of fact, the Declaration of Independence inherently states, “...all men are created equal” (“Declaration”).  However, some states throughout the United States still are not allowing all people to adopt. Most commonly, individuals of the LGBT community are being restricted to adoption. Laws are constantly being passed against discrimination, but not applying to sexual orientation. In 1964, an influential act was passed, “After years of gradual change, [the Civil Rights Act] outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin” (Ritchie 1).  This act aided in ensuring equality for all man, but it leaves out sexual orientation. This stance is very controversial for the United States to take because it is not protecting all citizens facing discrimination and adversities, specifically pertaining to sexual nature. It has been proven multiple times that same-sex couples are capable of parenting. Hence, they should be provided with the same rights as heterosexual couples when adopting a child or children. Moreover, same-sex couples do not need to share their sexual orientations with any adoption agencies. Biskupic writes, “...the Constitution’s guarantee of privacy covers the sexual relations of gay men and lesbians” (1).  Same-sex couples are protected by the Constitution as they have a right to withhold their sexual nature. Therefore, sexual preference should not be a determining factor when pursuing adoption because it deters children from being placed into homes. Recently, in June 2015 the U.S. Supreme Court made a decision that same-sex marriage would be legalized across the nation. This action provides hope to same-sex couples and supporters that perhaps soon, the Supreme Court will also legalize gay adoption nationwide. Consequently, regardless of a gay couple’s sexual preference, individuals should receive the same rights to adopt as any other heterosexual partners. Especially since America was established with the means of equality for all.

Ultimately, children everywhere are in need of a permanent home and family structure, hence why adoption should be available to individuals of any sexual orientation. In sum, there are hundreds of thousands of children who desperately need a safe home with a loving and caring family. Additionally, same-sex couples can raise children who are happier and healthier than children brought up by heterosexual partners. Further proving that same-sex couples are more than capable of being parents. Finally, America preaches equality and equal rights for all. Ergo, gay men and lesbians should have the right to adopt all over the nation. States opposing gay adoption jeopardize a child's chance of being adopted. This is beyond unfair to orphans and children in foster care. Moreover, do you really think that personal beliefs pertaining to gay adoption are more relevant and important than a child in need of a family?

In light of the recent tragedy, in Orlando, Florida, it has come to my attention that someone must speak for equal gay rights!

Aghernandez said...
on Jul. 12 2016 at 9:25 pm
Aghernandez,
Your thoughts are expressed well, easy to see your POV and relate.

Nessa1065 said...
on Jun. 26 2016 at 1:53 pm
Awesome writing!!! Great points