Sexual Identity | Teen Ink

Sexual Identity

By downhearts BRONZE, San Diego, California, California
downhearts BRONZE, San Diego, California, California

Imagine this: You and a significant other have been talking more often and you enjoy one another’s company. Here’s the catch: you’ve developed feelings for this person and they’re of the same sex. You didn’t want it to bug you until a few days later when you’ve noticed that your friends have created a small gap between you and them. It broke your heart when they finally confronted you about people calling you gay/lesbian. Of course you would’ve thought you were strong enough to handle such a bold situation, but you only proved yourself wrong when the teasing and bullying began. You cried every day, not knowing who to go to for help. You were hesitant to even tell your parents and now you’ve found yourself stuck. Has this ever happened to you? Have you felt scared about finding your sexual identity? Have you ever been bullied for being gay/lesbian or having been assumed to be gay/lesbian? If so, I know one of the best ways to overcome sexual identity and that’s by taking pride in who you are and accepting yourself.

One reason I think taking pride in you are is a good thing is because it’s also a good way to overcome how others make you feel about your sexual identity. Before I go more into detail about taking pride in who you are, let me give you some definitions. The definition of sexual identity is how one thinks of another romantically and is sexually attracted to. The definition of pride is to be especially proud of a particular quality or skill (“Google”, 2016). Looking at these definitions, you see the words proud and attracted to. Doing my research on sexual identity, “Bullying and harassment can have negative effects on the development and mental health of GLBTQ students, such as extreme anxiety and depression, relationship problems, low self-esteem, substance abuse, and thoughts of suicide…” (“Violence Prevention Works”, 2003). What this means is that by bringing someone down for their sexual identity, it could cause harm to that person. It is commonly known that people who tease others for being gay or for being assumed to be “gay” are more than likely to be gay themselves and don’t want to face the fear of being teased as well. The best way to stop someone from not allowing to take pride in who you are is to prove you’re stronger than what their words mean to you. Using your pride could protect you from being more hurt than you already are and another way to protect yourself is through acceptance.

Another good way I think to protect yourself is through acceptance. I strongly believe accepting yourself is a major key part of knowing what your sexual identity is. When it comes time to accepting yourself, it’s okay to be hesitant. It’s also okay to be scared or nervous when telling another being what it is you decide to be. Through personal experience, I told my parents about how I was feeling and they were okay with that. I felt so much better about myself. A few things that are best to keep in mind of is to acknowledge each attraction and try not to suppress your feelings. Another thing is to be honest to your loved ones. Accepting yourself is important, another important thing is convincing others it’s okay.

Some people believe that sexual identity doesn’t matter or that it’s not a big deal as people say it is. According to one study, “Four-fifth’s students know no supportive adult at school” (“Violence Prevention Works”, 2003). Another study shown is that some people are rejected families, have no support from schools, and commonly attempt suicide. Do you see it yet? Those on the opposing might not even see the harmful effects it does to people who are suffering with their sexual identity. For personal experience, throughout my fifth grade year, I was either getting bullied or being isolated from the certain activities because other students called me a “fat lesbian”. In my sixth grade year, I developed my first crush on a girl and I remember being scared because I didn’t want a repeat of what happened the previous year. Moving on to present time 2016, I’m in 8th grade and having a crush on a girl caused me to get bullied firsthand by being called “lesbian”. During those time periods, I never talked to anyone and I never wanted to go to school because of other kids and their derogatory ways. Wouldn’t you want to have done the same thing? Don’t. It solves nothing but put you in more of a worse position than before. Believe me when I say I know the facts.

In conclusion, I’m going to restate the facts. Taking pride in yourself is a good way to overcome how others make you feel and to surround yourself by loving people. Accepting yourself is a major key part of knowing what your sexual identity is. Sexual identity is also a big deal and should not be teased around with. Think about yourself and think about others. It’s going to be tough, but it’s going to be okay.

This is an argumentive essay regarding base on Sexual Identity and how to deal with the problems related to this certain topic.