Sugar and Salt | Teen Ink

Sugar and Salt

March 15, 2016
By Aetheric_Syzygy BRONZE, Brick, New Jersey
Aetheric_Syzygy BRONZE, Brick, New Jersey
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Since the beginning of mankind however long ago that was, man and woman existed together, lived together, and work together. The ideology that men are equal to women has been debated for what seems to be forever. I must admit the fact that it is even being debated is ludicrous, of course we should be equal, we are equal in many ways, but we are not treated equal and the simple answer to why that is the case is because we are and always will be different. Just because things are equal does not mean we will treat them the same if they are different. Take for a moment a pound of sugar and a pound of salt, well they both weigh a pound yes, they both are similar in color, but if you had in front of you a pound of each you would notice you have what would appear to be a lot more sugar, because its individual grain weighs less than that of a grain of salt. The amount of salt you had would seem in no way equal to the sugar and once you tasted that it's bitter and sugar is sweet you quickly come to the realization that these things, although equal, are different, and you put sugar not salt in your tea.

You could never make sugar behave like salt; salt is used in explosive compounds while sugar makes ice cream. Just like “asking women to behave more like men” (source D) is just ignorant, salt cannot be sweet just like ice can't be hot we need to learn to accept people for who they are and not ask them to change. There are hundreds of different types of salts and sugars Himalayan sea salt, brown sugar, cane sugar, pink salt, episons salt… none of these things will ever be the same or act the same in a science experiment they are individuals with their own set of properties. Men and women are not the same and never will be that's just science, but both have equal potential in the world around them. If Finch can strike out an entire MLB team (source A) there is a man capable of that also if a man can charge the shore at Normandy beach and live to tell about it I know a women could have also, but not all men could charge that beach, and not all women can pitch a ball, each person on this planet are unique and what they have between their legs changes absolutely nothing (source D).

With enough training anyone could be an expert at anything Ericsson’s work proved that, so if someone wants something nothing is holding them back, but certain things come easier to some than to others. You won't know what gender the author of a book was by how it was written because gender roles are a misplaced belief that all men are the same and all women are also the same. That will never be the case and that is a good thing, it's a shame some people still think we need to be the same to be treated the same, after all I keep my salt and sugar in the same cabinet.


Einstein once said that “Everybody is a genius, but if you try to judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it's stupid” and I think that can be applied to gender roles now I’m not saying one of the genders is a fish, just that a fish could be either gender.


 


The author's comments:

This was originally a synthisis essay for my Final exam in Literacy, however I rather enjoyed the topic and loved how this came out. He for She is a real problem and we all should try to be more well informed.