Every Day Is Judgment Day | Teen Ink

Every Day Is Judgment Day

March 11, 2016
By dfayard BRONZE, Gulfport, Mississippi
dfayard BRONZE, Gulfport, Mississippi
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!"


Though our ignorantly blissful childhood days are, inarguably, numbered, we still choose to shield our eyes to inappropriate behavior, which people now-a-days regard as “typical”. Some of these behaviors we see as “normal” today are the unauthorized objectification that is placed upon young girls in modern society.

Today’s youth live in a world where a bra strap seen on a pre-pubescent girl is taken as obscene and distracting to young boys and, surprisingly, older male teachers and school faculty. We live in a world where girls are taught to cover their bodies before learning their ABC’s. We live in a world where girls are so pressured to look soft, feminine, and nice that they call themselves “tomboys” to try and escape the standardized “girliness” that they are forced to adapt at such a young age.

Younger and younger, females are taught how to dress so as to not attract the male gaze because they have a risk of being catcalled or, worse, shamed for their bodies. And even younger girls learn how to wield a mascara brush. They are taught to “sit like ladies” and be presentable for our same-age male counterparts. They are taught to wear pink and avoid blue, which is seen as a boy’s color.

And teenage girls in American society are under the most pressure of all. The beauty standards in today’s media are absurd. Several articles blast about “body confidence” but shame women with no curves. Magazines praise big-bodied women but shame thin frames. Common pop singers sing about loving all shapes and sizes, but put down women with no hips or an hourglass figure. More and more girls are trying to lose weight, when in reality their size is normal for their height and age. Even teenage males, who know nothing of women’s beauty standards and pressure, tease young ladies about their body shapes, sizes, and heights. Insecure is a common word when girls are asked to describe themselves. Losing weight is on 13 year old’s agendas.

Girls today are not allowed to have several romantic relationships, for fear of being called a “thot” or being made fun of. Boys, on the other hand, are praised for how many girls they attract and have. A guy who is texting several girls is seen as a “player” or a “lady’s man.” The female side, though, is quite the opposite.

I suspect these issues will not be solved anytime soon, or by students as young and as inexperienced as the ones in this school. But, today, please do not comment on something someone can’t change in a matter of seconds. Telling a girl she is “chubby” or “too skinny” isn’t a comment that is well-appreciated. Telling a girl she is “too dark” or “too light” doesn’t solve anything. Commenting on a girl’s waist or her butt or her hair or her facial features will not cause a change in society. Unless the comment suggests an immediate change, it is unnecessary.

Females, however, are not the only gender to experience this unjustified treatment. Though they do receive a significantly less amount of harassment and catcalling, and even if life has been proven to be more dangerous for the female population, some men do experience unfair treatment in the media. For example, modern teenage boys are not allowed to cry, as it is seen as feminine and absurd. They are also conditioned to think that if they don’t like sports or video games, they are not as masculine.

Boys, like girls, are also not allowed to like softer, lighter colors because they are labeled for females. Today, even toys are gendered, and because of this parents do not let their young boys play with Barbie dolls or have tea parties—I bet half of you in this room regard that as inappropriate. I assume some of you laughed to yourself when you heard that statement. That, right there, is the problem.

You are so well-brainwashed into believing the gender roles of society that all of these statements do very well apply to you and your thought process. The modern youth calls unmasculine things “gay” and laughs at the femininity of actions or objects. A girl can dress up openly in boyish clothes, but for males to dress in clothed labeled “female” is volatile. I ask you this—is it degrading to be feminine? Do you believe that being called or insulted as a “girl” is the worst insult that can be given?

I may be the most enormous hypocrite in the room right now, saying that we should not down-put others and talk bad about them; at least I have chosen to own up and call this messed up community out on the patronizing actions.  In order for our slowly crumbling generation to taste success, we need to all be hypocrites—because maybe, one day, our hypocrisy alone will make us see the world we’ve been blind to for much too long.
 


The author's comments:

The modern problems and issues that have to do with negative comments on people's bodies and gender roles are extremely important to me, so I wrote this speech for my 4th and 5th period class in hopes of getting through to them.