Girl Power? | Teen Ink

Girl Power?

December 1, 2015
By JaiJay GOLD, Hamilton, Other
JaiJay GOLD, Hamilton, Other
11 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Many people have stereotypes against girls, things about what we can’t and can do, and what we are and what we aren’t. Nowadays, those views are changing but not entirely. We still think that those who like the colour pink are girly girls or if we do the opposite- if we like the colour blue or are into sports, we are considered tomboys. Why is that still happening? After so many years of fighting for our rights, our society may have given us the rights we deserve but what about the rest of the world.


Some countries still are against girls and giving us the power to do what we want to do, not what everyone tells us we should. China for example, had a one-child policy. Obviously, most families would rather have males instead of females as males carry the family name. Girls were denied rights, luxuries and even small things like going out for walks, had they been boys, they would have been allowed, encouraged to go outside- unlike females. So many girls had been killed, left out on the streets, and gone missing. Now, statistics say that tens of millions of men are destined to die alone because there just aren’t enough girls for the prized males.


Personally, something like this has not happened to me (nor am I going to let it) but I haven’t even come across someone who has had this problem.  I have heard of small remarks passed while walking, posters showing girls transforming them into things or telling us what we should look like but never an issue of something this serious happening. This real issue is that, our western society has accepted us, but it seems as if we have forgotten about the other millions of girls in the rest of the world.


When you look at your sisters, mothers, aunts and grandmothers, aren’t you grateful for their contributions in your life? We need girls as much as we need boys!


Reality is, boys can like pink, girls can like blue and play sports. Girls don’t have to care about their hair or make-up to be feminine and boys don’t have to turn girls into what they want them to be. Girls have to power to change the world don’t stop us!