Fun Facts For You | Teen Ink

Fun Facts For You MAG

July 27, 2015
By aschoo SILVER, Darien, Illinois
aschoo SILVER, Darien, Illinois
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you don't stop looking sad I'm going to punch you in the throat."


Here’s a fact you already know: Pride and Prejudice is a book by Jane Austen. It was adapted into a movie in 2005. The movie starred Keira Knightley. She looked very pretty.

Here’s a fact you may know: Dictionary.com defines “prejudice” as “any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.” Apparently that is the second most popular definition of the word.

A fun fact about prejudice: When humans survived basically on berries and grass – instead of high-fructose syrup and electronic stimulation – they required intuition to quickly decide what was dangerous and what was not. The humans who decided the quickest were the most likely to survive.

A fun fact about evolution: The humans who survived passed down those quick decision-making skills to their offspring, along with the knowledge of which berries to eat and which grasses to grow. Because they had preconceived feelings that warned them of danger, and because those feelings were usually accurate, those kids were not gored by wild boars or harmed by poisonous plants. They survived too.

Here’s a fun fact about you: You know that a chair is a chair. Chairs come in many shapes and designs. Some don’t have legs. Some look like eggs. Some are elaborate. Some are very simple. But you see any one of them, and you think chair. It is a “preconceived opinion or feeling.” You got that from your parents.

Here’s a fun fact about first impressions: You can form a first impression of someone in one-tenth of asecond. That fact is from Wikipedia. People like to say that Wikipedia can be wrong. People also like to say that Wikipedia can be right. It depends on their first impression of Wikipedia. It also depends on their preconceived opinion of the general intelligence of humans and their consequent ability to add to a free encyclopedia. They got that from their parents.

Here’s a fun fact about parents: Some parents see a weird chair and think chair. Some parents see their daughter’s boyfriend and think threat. Some parents see modern art and think trash. Some parents see a black man and think danger. Some parents see a homeless person and think burden. Some parents see a hijab and think terrorist. They got that from their parents.

Here’s a fun fact about race: Different skin tones developed due to different exposure to sunlight and UV rays. Exposure to sunlight depends on the latitude where you live. Skin tone is passed down through evolution. We get it from our parents.

Here’s a not-so-fun fact about bullying: In the United States, one out of four kids are bullied. That fact is from bullyingstatistics.org. It is the first result when you type “bullying statistics” into Google. Why are the ones out of fours being bullied? Sometimes it’s their personality. Sometimes it’s their race. Sometimes it’s their first impression. Sometimes it’s a “preconceived opinion or feeling.” Maybe they got it from their parents.

Here’s a fact about pride: It’s one of the seven sins. Dictionary.com says that it is “the state or feeling of being proud.” That is the second most popular definition of the word. Many kids don’t tell people that they are being bullied because of pride.

Here’s a fact about being proud: Dictionary.com says that “proud” means “having or showing self-respect or self-esteem.” That is the third most popular definition of the word. Humans want to be proud of themselves. And they want others to be proud of them.

Here’s a fact you already know: A cycle is like a circle. It does not end. There is a water cycle and a nitrogen cycle and a carbon cycle and a bicycle. In cycles, things go around and around. Here is a cycle of sadness: In the first half of the cycle, a human uses his “preconceived feeling or opinion, either favorable or unfavorable” to judge another so that he can have a higher chance of surviving. The “preconceived feeling” is wrong. The wronged human is sad because that “preconceived feeling” made the first human treat her badly, which affected her “self-respect or self-esteem.” She has trouble attaining “the state or feeling of being proud.”

Here’s a not-so-fun fact about pride: The most popular definition of “pride” on Dictionary.com is very long. It says “pride” is “a high or inordinate opinion of one’s own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.” In the second half of the cycle of sadness, the wronged human wishes to reattain “the state or feeling of being proud.” She creates an “unfavorable,” “preconceived feeling or opinion” about another human to attain “a high or inordinate opinion of [her] … superiority.” And the cycle repeats. It does not end.

Here’s a fun fact about cycles: A cycle will end if it is not sustainable. If the water is taken away, the water cycle will end. If the “preconceived feeling or opinion, either favorable or unfavorable,” is taken away, the cycle of prejudice will end.

Here’s a fun fact about humans: Humans no longer need to eat berries and grass to stay alive. They are not in dire danger of being gored by wild boars or poisoned by wild plants, because there are tastier things to eat, like high-fructose corn syrup. They survive easily.

Here’s another fun fact about humans: There are things that humans got from their parents, that their parents got from their parents, that their parents got from their parents and so on. Humans don’t need some of those things anymore. One of those things is a tail bone. One of those things is that antique vase in your basement. One of those things is “any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable” about other groups of people.

Here’s a fun fact: In the novel Pride and Prejudice, it takes a long time for the main characters to fall in love. The main characters have time. They got it from their parents. It takes a long time for them to see each other and think love.

Here are a couple of facts: “Pride and Prejudice” is a movie that was a story first. Some stories embody ideals. It’s okay to be idealistic. You get it from your parents. Humans shouldn’t eat too much high-fructose corn syrup or grass. It’s okay to leave behind some of the things your parents’ parents’ parents passed down to you, especially if those things hurt others.