The Confederate Flag: A Symbol of Prejudice | Teen Ink

The Confederate Flag: A Symbol of Prejudice

July 13, 2015
By KoreanGsus BRONZE, Northridge, California
KoreanGsus BRONZE, Northridge, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” (Jefferson, Thomas. "The Declaration of Independence." Historic American Documents. Lit2Go Edition. 1776.).

 

The Founding Fathers justified their resistance against the British government by stating that all men deserve to be free from segregation and prejudice. In reality, the country that was created under the belief of liberty enslaved over 4 million African Americans. Even after slavery was abolished by law, the racism and hate towards the African Americans endured. After many horrible police brutality against the African Americans, a new controversy emerged that only didn’t infuriate the African Americans but other races including the whites: The Flag of the Confederate States of America.


  The Confederate States of America was a rebellion force created under the belief that slavery was an acceptable practice under all morale values. Its flag automatically became a symbol of fascism and slavery. Which was used during the American Civil War during the 1860s. After the war, the Confederates lost the war and the rebellion was dissolved. However, the Confederacy Flag still can be seen today in public. It was even worn by popular rock groups such as the Pantera. The group’s merchandise store is still selling garments with the emblem of Confederacy.
  

Many people may be wondering why this is such a huge deal. Slavery is a despicable act that is considered illegal in most of the globe. Wearing a confederacy flag in public is no different that wearing a swastika in Germany. Its a symbol that represented an organization formed that believed slavery was morally acceptable and even necessary. By wearing it in public, the person is expressing their approval of fascism and prejudice that was always the bane of the United States. This act must be discussed through the legal officials and banned if this country is truly a land of the free.