Women in the Progressive Era | Teen Ink

Women in the Progressive Era

By Chadly398 BRONZE, Dededo, Other
Chadly398 BRONZE, Dededo, Other

"Believe you can and you're halfway there."
- Theodore Roosevelt

During the Progressive Era, middle-class reformers addressed many of the problems that had contributed to the social turmoil of the 1890s. Problems, such as immigrants overcrowding in tenement slums, with high rates of diseases and infant mortality, and party bosses having total power through political machines, were increasingly exposed by “muckrakers.” These journalists wrote articles about harsh factory conditions, political corruption, and unhealthy tenement slums. One female journalist, Ida Tarbell, exposed the unfair business practices of the Standard Oil Company. And as a result, many women started taking active roles as reformers of society during the Progressive Era. The efforts of these women greatly impacted the lives of countless Americans and led to many of the “luxuries” that people take for granted today. These luxuries include clean water, trash collection, public libraries, and many more improvements. In a large number of ways, women were the driving force behind numerous progressive reforms.

Women were such central forces in the progressive crusade because they were found everywhere. They were committed to their jobs in the workplace, at home, and in their community. Whether it would be women working as domestic workers, in farms, at a factory, or studying at school, women were basically in all areas that required labor intensive skills. They held jobs in manufacturing, offices, classrooms, and stores. Those without formal education and industrial skills performed jobs as cooks, laundresses, scrub women, and maids. Women were also known as strong, central forces in society because of their hard work and determination. They refused to be of little significance to society and wanted to assist in improving and reforming American life. In massive numbers, women joined volunteer organizations to work for reform. Their efforts often started at a local level, then gradually expanded to the state and national level. Together, women managed research, executed programs, and petitioned for legislation to address social, political, moral, and economic problems occurring within the American society.

At the end of the 19th century, women were considered the “moral guardians” and protectors of the home. Female reformers during the progressive movement then used this ideology and nickname to argue that in order to protect the home, women would need to enter the public sphere. In this public sphere, they could exercise their moral authority over issues such as education and public sanitation, which ultimately affected the home. Aside from the household, women found several problems existing within society and sought to correct them, especially those that were unjust to women and children.  In the manufacturing system, female industrial workers demanded for reform due to the dangerous conditions, low wages, and long hours women had to endure when working in factories. Many women were deeply religious, pushing for better moral standards and were in support of prohibition. Middle-class clubwomen and settlement workers organized to address issues of education, healthcare, and political corruption. Women were also strong activists who started efforts in reforming the health and safety of the workplace and strived in fighting for a women’s right to vote. Working women and middle-class women united to fight against racism, raise wages, and improve the working condition of female workers. Their endeavors and achievements led to the lives of countless Americans improving. 

There were many limitations on women during the Progressive Era that primarily existed due to class division. Many women at the time were expected to devote all their time to the care of their homes and families. They were also limited to occupations such as domestic workers and farmers. Even when new job opportunities opened up in manufacturing, women still typically held the least skilled position and received only about half as much money as their male counterparts. At this point, women were tired of being treated unfairly and decided to take a stand. Female workers, African Americans and whites alike, gathered and worked together to push for reforms. The educated, high class women gave articulate speeches and were able to spread their influence among many people. The working, lower class women were often the ones who participated in rallies and marches while advocating for the rights of women and children. Through their strengths in hard work and perseverance, women pushed for equal pay, fought to terminate child labor laws, and advocated for prohibition. These brave women eventually reached their goals and in the end, females from all around the world were finally getting the respect they deserved and children were receiving better treatment.

Women in the Progressive Era achieved many significant reforms. They achieved many victories, but perhaps the sweetest of these triumphs was the passage of the 19th Amendment, which won women’s suffrage. Their reforms led to women becoming a strong and global force in the United States. It also began to redefine the role of the federal government in American society. Reform women worked hard to broaden the scope of the federal government in overseeing issues of sanitation, health, education, wages, working conditions, and social welfares. In summary, America wouldn’t be what it is today without the reforms that women gave throughout the past centuries.

This piece was created to show the positive impact that women made in American society.