Tart-y For The Party | Teen Ink

Tart-y For The Party

February 17, 2015
By Anonymous

I have considered myself many things in my life, but a feminist is a new one. I love most men and my armpits are cleanly shaven so who was I to join that territory? Until recently, I ignored the effects of gender inequality that I saw everyday. Being able to recognize what I can do as a woman left me much more empowered, but I’m realizing females are doing just as much damage to liberated women that feminist-hating men are. Why exactly is it that we assign so much negative connotation to that self-empowering word? The exact stereo-type I already touched on. Feminists are thought to be man-hating, ungroomed females always tying to pick fights. My first goal in this new world is to help people rid of that stereotype so they can understand the real goals of the movement. Today I saw a tweet that read “I've never seen a pretty feminist”

My feminist friends are hands-down the most gorgeous beings I have ever layed my eyes on. That being said, what does it matter? For whom is it that females have to be attractive for. This brings two issues to the table: 1. Objectification of females from men and 2. Self appreciation.

Objectifying women creates negative consequences for both men and women. In a world where it is 100% acceptable to view women as toys and beings for man’s desires, women will never be able to reach their full potential. The idea that “women make themselves pretty for men” is completely absurd. I make myself pretty for myself when I feel like it. So for a girl to tweet “I've never seen a pretty feminist” means she also believes we need to be physically attractive to men, which devalues females everywhere. This is where self-appreciation comes in to hand.

Growing up we are told, “love yourself… but don’t love yourself too much.” Constantly fearing that line between appreciation and narcissism roadblocks truly loving your internal and external being. I love myself and I’m not vain for saying it. Currently we live in selfie culture. As much as everyone enjoys bagging on it, I love it. Girl you are beautiful for being you and having the strength to show you off. So to love myself yesterday I bought myself new nail polish, because having bright, funky nails is just one of those things that makes me proud to be me. The color: tart-y for the party. Incredibly fitting if you view the world we live in now as the party. Yeah. I am becoming pretty tart-y for the party. We’re in the age of change.