Role Model | Teen Ink

Role Model

By kab32 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
kab32 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Every child goes home once in his or her life and tells their mom what they want their goal to be in there future. Most of the time, he or she ends up changing the goal. That’s what I ended up doing. When I was in kindergarten, my goal was to be a harness horse driver because there wasn’t a lot of women drivers that I have heard of. Also, male drivers are typically better than women drivers.  My goal was to prove to all men that they aren’t the only good drivers. But last year someone told me that their goal in life was to be someone who others look up too and that also became mine. However, I know that they’re bad people to represent this. Those people didn’t grow up to be the type of role model I wish to be.

Amanda is the person who I have looked up to ever since the 2013 soccer season. Last year, she led the team with it being the first year in Cannon Falls’ history of having a girls soccer team. She is the person the teammates feel comfortable going to talk to if they have a problem with the team or even their personal lives. Also, on and off the field she is always positive. No matter what the outcome is, she has a smile on her face and reminds us that the score doesn’t matter. On the field, Amanda also says good job to the other team if they did something amazing, which is great sportsmanship. A great leader will always try his or her best to help others and to set a great example of what sportsmanship is, and that is what she did. Another reason why Amanda is the person who I look up to is because she is a great leader and is nice to everyone. As she walks down the hallways, the younger kids, sixth through ninth graders, wave to her or even have a conversation with her. She sets a great example of what most parents want their kid to be like. Personally, a great leader and role model is someone who is a good all-around person, has parents recognize her and has had a lot of experience.

While growing up, I have always been taught how to be a great leader and role model by my parents. I was always either by horses or dogs or I was always on a court or field trying to be  a the best leader I could be. When I went to the fairgrounds, I would always help my dad get chores done. One example of this is I would always feed the horses. I walk into the stall, all tense and fearful of the horse, and dump the feed into its bucket. That taught me responsibility by having consequences if I didn’t finish my job. While learning all of my responsibilities and how important they are, I was also learning how to be a leader. While I was still learning right from wrong, my parents put me in all of the sports they could. I would always be out on the court or field always helping others and trying to help them be the best person and player they can be. If I saw something wrong in their form, I would explain what they did wrong and explain a way to correct it. But, sometimes that didn’t work so I had to tell the couch to watch that person. That taught me how to be a great leader without being mean, especially with my dog. She is that dog who most people can’t yell at without her “crying.” Almost all teams will have those people who will almost cry or get really upset if the coach yells at them, but, sometimes it’s needed. It has also taught me how not be a terrible role model or leader.

Every person has some kind of role model. Some of them are probably not the kinds of people parents want their kids to look up to. With how society is now a days there is a large scale of terrible role models. With a wide variety of people who do drugs, the people who drink, and the people who make bad decisions all the time, parents should almost be concerned with who their children chooses to look up to. These examples of things that aren’t healthy for parents and their kids. Also, there’s people who abuse animals or even other people. If some adults want to grow old and always have that burden that their kids are the people who make the news who do the bad and nasty things then keep doing that. This world needs to have a lot better role models. I know that there is no perfect person in the world but at least there is a way for parents to supervise their children. Drugs, smoking and abusing is not the way kids should be growing up being taught to do. Besides, most parents don’t want their kid to turn out like some of the people they went to high school with.

Leadership is something I have always been taught. I continue learning new ways about how to be a better leader. To be the best role model I can be is an important life goal that I have had since Amanda told me hers. Growing up and learning the important parts in being a great role model is what it took to finally finding a role model for me. Still, not all role models are great, but the important thing is that we all try to be the best person we can be. To achieve that, some of us need to have a goal in life to be a role model who most people can look up to. I hope one day I can have the chance of a kid coming home and telling me what their life is.

My parents are my everything.