From Weak and Helpless, to Indestructible: Women's Power | Teen Ink

From Weak and Helpless, to Indestructible: Women's Power

January 12, 2015
By Anonymous

My fellow sisters in Christ, we are powerful, strong, and mighty. We are perfectly imperfect.  I remember when I was young, how confident and strong I felt, like I was a princess. I was ignorant to what others thought of me, it did not even phase me to wonder. I remember as the years went by and the older I became, my knowledge grew, but my confidence descended greatly. Why is it that when we are young girls we believe we can do anything, run fast, swim fast, speak loud, hit hard, and walk confident; However, as we get older we believe in ourselves less? When we grow up we start to give up on ourselves because the common stereotypes cloud our brain. Stereotypes like: women are not strong as men, women don't play sports, women don't need to go to college, women are quieter than men and do not need to speak out, women are meant to be the damsel in distress, and never to be the hero. We have come to believe that we are useless and we can not make a difference in this world. We have believed that being a woman is a curse, because we will always be the weak, slow, or powerless in this world. When did being a girl become a bad thing? The very popular and known brand for feminine hygiene, Tampax Always made a wonderful and eye opening video about how girls have become stereotyped for being weak and small. The directors interviewed many people, boys and girls, asking them what came to their mind when they heard “like a girl”. Many of them automatically jumped to showing the powerless side the girl. After interviewing the older people, they interviewed young girls and asked them the same question. The young girls automatically ran as fast as they could, or threw as hard as they could, and put in their best efforts in everything they did. How did society make “like a girl” an insult? When we hear “like a girl” the first thing that comes to mind is “weak and helpless”. From the beginning of time, God created the man and the woman, and the woman came from the man. After God created the heavens and the earth and all the creatures in it, he created the woman, the Master saved us for last, the spectacular finishing piece. If the All-knowing God believes that us women are mighty warriors, and one of the strongest creations he has made, why can we not cement that into our brains being a woman is such a blessing? We are indestructible with God by our side.