Refining Perfection | Teen Ink

Refining Perfection

By rramsey BRONZE, Roanoke, Virginia
rramsey BRONZE, Roanoke, Virginia

Are you really going to wear that? Why are you acting like that its weird? You shouldn't do that, no one else does? Have you ever been told by someone that you should change or be something that you aren't? Every person has their own unique qualities that make them the person that they are. Many people today are brainwashed and have this idea that women need to be a size 2 to be pretty , that they need to be in a relationship in order to be happy, or that men need to be manly all the time and to be the main provider for their family. People are obsessed with their peer’s opinions of them, and are willing to go to all lengths to do what it takes to “fit in”. If people stopped and took a second and really thought about the consequences of subjecting themselves to other people’s opinion, wouldn't the world be a much better place? No one would have to hide who they are, or change themselves in order to fit the bill of what others want them to be. If you are wild and outgoing be wild and outgoing don’t hold back for anyone or change what you value to make someone else happy.

We have grown to accept these norms that in order to be beautiful you have to be skinny (when the average woman is a size 10), or that you have to cake on the makeup but in reality women are more beautiful without it. Many women will go to extreme lengths to feel like they fit in including starvation. They will go out and spend immense amounts of money to buy the makeup that many women don’t need just to try to impress their peers.  To this day many people believe that it should be the man that supports the family by bringing in the biggest income into the household, when many women have the capability to be successful as well. There is also a belief that a man shouldn't have feminine qualities because they will instantly be labeled as gay, when many men aren't. People throw gay out as an insult. You never know, what if they were the person that saves your life one day? Many people not just men are stereotyped and discriminated against for being gay when they have done no harm to anyone.  Many men make less money than a woman and are content and happy making what they do now. 

People have become fascinated by making others happy they have stopped worrying about themselves. They allow other people’s opinions run their lives and determine how happy that they are. We are hiding our sexuality, personalities, and opinions to be accepted by our peers. We are so afraid of oppression and not being accepted that we silence ourselves. We shouldn't have to hide who we are or feel bad about ourselves because we aren't what other people think we should be.

Nobody is perfect, nobody ever will be. Because perfection isn't an obtainable goal, it isn't realistic to wish for. The definition of perfection is the condition, state, or quality of being free, or as free as possible from all flaws or defects. Every person has flaws, it’s the ability to accept them that we lack. Once we can accept this and learn to accept each other the world will be a happier place. Everyone will be accepted for who they are, what they look like, what they believe, and their personalities. Most importantly we would be comfortable in the skin we are in.